2.8

CHAPTER EIGHT

The Avengers

- - - - -

"What's the story upstairs?" Steve asked Thor

"The powers surrounding the cube is impenetrable." Thor explained.

"Thor is right," Tony said. Everyone heard him over the ear comm. "We gotta deal with these guys." Ana cast a glance toward Clint and Natasha with a small frown.

"How do we do this?" Natasha asked as she flicked her eyes at Steve.

"As a team." Steve said.

"I have unfinished business with Loki." Thor said.

"Yeah? Get in line." Clint said, as he fixed himself a new set of arrows. Ana looked sideways at Clint, and looked at him impassively.

"Hey, he shot me multiple times. So, you're after me." Ana said with a grin on her face, arms crossed over her chest. Loki seemed as if shooting her with the blue energy was his new favourite hobby. That's something she didn't like.

"Alright enough." Steve said, walking in between his teammates. He turned his back around to face the city, already giving them directions. Natasha, Thor, Clint, and Ana followed him.

"Loki's gonna keep the fight on us and that's what we need. Without him, these things could run wild. We got Stark up top, he's gunna need us..." Steve said, but then stalled slowly when he heard the sound of a motor running behind him. Ana glanced behind Steve, and couldn't help but smile once she saw Bruce.

Bruce kicked the bike's kickstand down, and pulled himself off the bike, joining the team not a moment later. Sirens raged in the background, as Bruce glanced around his grim surroundings as though it were the end times. Natasha walked closer to Bruce and Steve, as Ana hung back with Clint.

"So," Bruce said dryly. "This all seems...horrible."

"I've seen worse," Natasha said.

"Sorry," Bruce said a little bit sheepishly.

"No," Natasha said. "We could use a little worse."

"Stark? We got him," Steve said. "Just like you said."

"Then tell him to suit up," Tony said. "I'm bringing the party to you."

Ana turned to face downtown Manhattan, and spotted the leviathan as it zoomed around the corner. The mouth opened up and roared loudly. She winced and felt the roar vibrate through her as the creature zoomed back and forth, hitting every single parked car down the street, heading straight towards them.

Tony flew ahead as fast as he could, bringing the leviathan and many Chitauri aliens behind him.

Thor let out a grunted growl, as he twirled his hammer in his hand, and Ana widened her eyes at the monstrous creature getting closer and closer. She took a step backwards with Clint.