Chapter 7: Waking call

Emily remained still for a moment, shocked, and then started to sob uncontrollably. It took another few minutes for her to regain her countenance and muster a few coherent thoughts. She needed professional help, hallucinations were a sure sign of mental disorder. Unless her brain was having an altitude meltdown?

Feeling very depressed, she decided to call her boyfriend. There was a good chance that she wouldn’t get through to him, he was working hard for his exams, staying late in the library and used to hit the gym early, but in her current state, it was worth a try. He could be a real pain sometimes, borderline OCD when it came to health, and always too busy to go out, but he was generally supportive and would comfort her. With a bit of luck, he might even offer some useful advice, considering that exercise science was his major.

Kieran’s satellite phone sat on the kitchen table, and she grabbed it, with a slight pang of guilt. She would compensate him for the price of the call, as her own device wouldn’t work. She must have been ill advised when picking the network.

For her first try, she dialed her landline and was pleasantly surprised when it was answered nearly immediately.

“Damian?”

She could hardly hide the relief in her voice.

“Emily, honey, are you OK? I was starting to worry.”

“I’m fine, just stuck in the mountains by the snow, and I’m safe, at least physically…”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I think I’ve been sleepwalking and now I might be seeing things, I don’t know, I feel so silly saying it…”

“Don’t say that love, you are the brightest and most mentally balanced person I know. You might just be confused with the new environment, the stress and the lack of sleep. Wait a little bit before rushing to conclusions, right? You don’t have a headache or any dizziness, don’t you?”

“No, nothing like that.”

“Then I don’t think you’re mountain sick, maybe you just need to rest and have one of those long walks you love. Is the place nice? Are you eating properly and taking your vitamins?”

Emily sighed; he didn’t change. There was noise in the background on his side and she could hardly hear his last sentence, but she could easily guess.

“Yes mum! The food is honest to God local stuff and I could bet it’s organic. You’d feel at home here. And the scenery is to die for.”

“…………”

This time, there was a faint female voice mixing with his, and she couldn’t understand his words.

“Is there something wrong with the line? I didn’t get anything you said.”

Suddenly the noise died down.

“Sorry love, I’m feeling a bit lonely so I have the radio on. I have to go anyway, I’m already late for my first lecture. Call m…”