Part 14

It had been 2 days since Jack had told me he loved me, it had also been 2 days of complete silence. My patience was wearing thin, every time my phone vibrated I hoped it was a message from Jack but it never came all my messages consisted of was my mum's patronising messages about finding a new job and from Diana my old best friend from school. Doubts filled me with every passing moment, how could someone confess they loved you and disappear ... maybe he had cold feet, maybe it was just the heat of the moment - that must be it.

"Jane?"

"mmm" 

"Have you seen my ben and jerry's?" I quickly look up from my newspaper to Kirk who was bending down in the freezer while hiding the tub under my cardigan. Oops.

"Uhhh no I don't think I have." I return back to my newspaper and hope my face doesn't give me away, I distinctively hear him mumbling about how he was sure he hadn't eaten it all and try and hush my chuckles. Trying to concentrate on the newspaper was hard, I had lost all enthusiasm looking for a job I wasn't even sure I would need it, I had been thinking about moving down to Cali for a while now, Diana was attending university there and was looking for a new house mate and well I - I was looking for a fresh start. I had been friends with Diana for 13 years and she had been with me through it all, especially when Dan passed away, living with her would be as easy as riding a bicycle. But as I stare at Kirk a wave of guilt rolls over me, how could I leave him? Sure Diana was my best friend but so was Kirk.

Hell the guy couldn't even cook for himself how could I leave the poor guy, but deep down I knew he wasn't the only other reason I hang onto staying. I sigh, I was stuck in a crossroads not knowing what road to take, could I really wait around for Jack - would he ever leave his wife? Frustrated I slam the newspaper down on the table, that was it, I was going for a jog to clear my head. 

Throwing on some gym clothes I head towards the front door leaving my phone behind; I wanted no distractions. I pocket my iPod and put it on shuffle.

"And where do you think your going misses?" I groan internally, ever since I had gone missing that night Kirk feels the need to keep track of my every step that he might as well insert one of them dog trackers into my neck.

"Well lets see, I'm wearing gym clothes .... that could be a good place to start." I stretch myself out on the door frame, limbering myself up.

"Stop with the sarcasm - I prefer the sweet, innocent you." He throws the tea towel at me in annoyance. "Oooo my ice cream." I take that as a good time to escape the flat and hurry down the steps into the cold New York air.

Turning my music on I let the songs of the neighbourhood fill my ears, after about 4 blocks my breathing begins to become laboured and I curse at myself for letting myself get this out of shape, maybe it was time to make this a usual routine if I was planning to move to cali I would be living in a bathing suit most of the time. Seeing a small shop up ahead I jog inside and am thankful to see water, what kind of idiot goes out for a jog and forgets to take water? I pay the man and turn around to head outside, the freshness of the water going down a treat as my throat burns from exhaustion. 

"Jane?" It couldn't be - it just couldn't. Slowly I lower the bottle and turn to my right and low and behold it was him - it was Sam - Dan's younger brother. I hand't seen him since the funeral, it was funny because we was like the golden trio when Dan was alive, he was like my own little brother but I guess deep down I knew I had to cut away from him too he reminded me so much of his brother and looking at him now my heart pangs at the resemblance.

"Sam!" I plaster a grin on my face, even though it was such a shock to see him it was still nice to see him. He embraces me in a bear hug and I am amazed by his strength, I hadn't seen him in nearly six years and boy had he grown, he was ripped with muscle in every place you could think off, I guess that might be the only difference from him and his brother.

"How have you been?" We both say at the same time resulting in a few awkward chuckles. I try and work out in my head how old he must be now, was it 18? 19? I couldn't remember.

"You look so grown up." I study him from his stubbly face, to the well defined cheekbones and how he now towered over me.

He chuckles under his breath and I can tell I have clearly embarrassed him - good at least that still remained the same. He had always fancied me even though I was dating his brother but hey I suppose what could a 12 year old boy do? "Yes Ma'm. I graduate this year." Smiling a wave of happiness rolls over me, at least Sam would be able to make it to his graduation - Dan would be so happy with how he matured.

"Jesus, that sure does make me feel old." I chuckle and move out of the way for an old lady walking by, we were clearly blocking the side walk. 

"Hey you fancy grabbing a coffee and catching up, that's if you don't have anything going on?" I smile in response, it was most probably best we shift our conversation else where, plus I wasn't ready to leave him quite yet I had so much to ask him, and for some strange reason I felt this pull to be near him, to look after him, to know that he was ok and deep down I think it was Dan who was driving that.

A/N Hi guys so so sorry for not updating this for ages but I decided to have a read through my old work and it brought back the fire for this story, so here's a well overdue chapter. Sorry that it isn't as exciting as the last couple of chapters but I felt that I was rushing the Jane and Jack love story and decided it should take a back seat, as we learn more about Jane's past. Drop a message and let me know what you think!