Chapter 2

Screw you, Exton.

I let out a frustrated groan as I turn around to face Exton.

“Look, I’m sorry,” I say, not knowing what else I could possibly say. His expression softened as I spoke. “I really don’t know who he is. I don’t know his name either. You really think I wouldn’t tell you if I knew? That’s a low blow, Exton.”

A small smile crept to his lips as he sighs.

“You’re lucky you’re too irresistible, Alayna,” placing his arm over my shoulder. My mind drifted off to the mysterious guy and how his hands were placed on my body.

I rub at my waist softly, feeling the ghost of his hands.

“… only want to protect you. Maybe I’m just being a little too paranoid,” Exton finishes, looking into my eyes. “Were you even listening to me?”

“Of course I am,” I say, absentmindedly. “You just want to protect me from bad guys and rapists, I know-”

“Woah, hold on,” Exton says. “I never said anything about rapists.”

He exchanges looks with Spencer, and I just roll my eyes at them, crossing my arms over my chest.

I knew what they were gonna say.

“Alayna?” Spencer asks softly, as if she was talking to an untamed lion.

“Was it one of Clark’s so-called friends?” Exton says, letting out a breath of air sharply.

I scoff at them.

Did they really think that I was stupid enough to dance with one of his druggies?

“No,” I say. I love how they worry so much about my safety. It makes me feel so loved. “I wouldn’t have danced with him if I knew he was one.”

He looked at me for a few more seconds, then gave a loud obnoxious sigh.

“Fine, if you don’t want to tell me, I won’t pry,” he says, picking at his cuticles slyly.

So he still doesn’t believe me, huh?

“Seriously, Exton,” I say, scowling at him. “I don’t know the guy’s name! Why don’t you trust me?”

He smirks at me, as if the answer was obvious.

He didn’t trust me?

“I trust you, Alayna,” he smiles at me. “I just don’t trust the guy you were dancing with.”

“So basically, you just don’t trust me enough?” I say softly, hoping he’d deny.

But Exton being Exton

“Pretty much.”

“You’re a jerk.”

“I know.”

“I’m gonna go get drinks, ‘kay?” Spencer mutters softly.

“NO,” Exton and I say at the same time. When I saw how she was taken aback, I felt a pang of regret.

“I’ll get the drinks, Spence,” I smile at her sadly.

There was no point in arguing with Exton Downey.

“I’ll come with-” Exton starts.

“No,” I say, cutting him off. “Stay. Here."

I walk calmly towards the drink table, while trying to shake away the bad mood Exton put me in.

Why was he being so overprotective?

I began pouring Coke on a red plastic cup, when someone startles me.

“I wouldn’t drink that if I were you,” a voice says.

It was the man from earlier.

“You jerk! Don’t sneak up on people like that,” I scold as he walks towards me.

“I prefer being called by my name,” he says, a smirk playing on his lips.

“Which is…?” I try, but he just chuckles.

“Why do you wanna know?” he says, crossing his arms over his chest.

That was the stupidest question I’ve ever heard.

“You said you wanted to be called by your name,” I scowl at him.

He was obviously taken aback by my answer, but he quickly covered it up with his signature smirk.

“Just answer the question.”

“Should I have a reason for everything?” I ask him.

“Pretty much,” he says, giving me a cheeky grin.

“You wanted to know mine, too!” I say, which sounded a bit accusing.

I blush lightly.

Why did he want to know my name?

“Don’t flatter yourself too much,” he says smugly.

I frown and decide to ignore him as I fill another cup with root beer for Spencer.

“You shouldn’t drink that,” he says for the second time.

“You’re not the boss of me,” I tell him, and I earn a smirk.

“I never thought you were a girl who’d drink,” he says, smiling.

What did he mean?

“I don’t get it,” I say, taking a sip of my soda.

“Those are spiked,” he chuckles as I spit my soda back into my cup.

“How are you supposed to know?” I ask, suspiciously.

Instead of answering my question, he points across the room to a young man who looked several years older than me.

He was walking in a completely abnormal way, while swaying his handsto the beat of the music.

After a few more second, he slumped to the ground looking dead asleep.

Yup.

Definitely drunk.

“If you really want a drink, there’s a soda machine down the hall,” he says suggestively.

“Okay, thanks,” I say, waving at him. “See you later.”

For a second, I thought he would come with me, but we didn’t even know each other’s names.

I don’t see any reason why he would accompany me to the soda machines.

“Wait, I’ll come with you,” he says, giving me a beautiful smile.

“I can get a soda by myself,” I say. “You don’t need to come. Thanks for the offer.”

He shrugs and still tags along, but I don’t argue.

We walk out to the hallway.

It was really silent out here, compared inside.

I turn around to check if the guy was still followed me.

And guess what?

He wasn’t there.

~