Her Body and His Soul

Anzu remarked with a shrug of its borrowed shoulders. The survivors moved away from it, wary of the strange demon that now controlled their first mate's body.

"How long will Bella be 'resting'?" Damien used his hands to emphasize the last word, suspicion still rearing its head in his chest. The memory of the last time his sister lost control of herself replayed in his head.

"For as long as it takes for her to reclaim this body of hers. Until then, I am here." Anzu answered with another shrug. Kaden narrowed his eyes on the demon.

"How do we know you're telling the truth?" He questioned suddenly as Anzu let out a soft sigh of annoyance.

"You are not dead." Anzu replied in a bored tone. His casual answer was cold and detached. To him, it was an absolute fact. If he was in control of Arabella, none of them would have lived long enough to question him about anything. Instead, he was forced to talk to them and answer their questions without being able to do anything more than spew out empty threats.

Kaden and the others were silent for a few moments before Anzu let out another sigh; this sigh was in mild annoyance.

"I suggest you send the Leviathan to retrieve the gold." He announced as Ashik frowned before looking toward Kaden for instruction. Before Kaden could say a word, Damien stepped in front of Ashik and stomped his foot down. He ignored the wood cracking beneath him.

"No way in hell are you sending Ashik down there by himself. Didn't you hear Bella before...this thing took over? A nest of mermaids is down there! Not to mention the booby traps the witch no doubt has set up!" His voice was firm and every bit the way an ex-Navy captain should sound. In fact, the others could see where the younger man could have easily commanded an entire vessel on his own. It wasn't something they were used to seeing out of the usually rambunctious, airheaded man.

"My, my, my. It's a tight ship you run, human. I can see now why my vessel is so necessary to you. Obviously she's in charge of the discipline." Kaden didn't miss the sarcasm in Anzu's voice, but he chose to ignore it.

"Damien, we don't have any other choice. Bella is...busy. The witch is useless. Our ship is dead in the water and we have no supplies. Unless you've suddenly developed the ability to breath underwater..." Kaden stopped when a sheepish look filtered across Damian's features. A ball of unease grew in his belly. He knew that look. He had worn that look himself countless times whenever he did something Bella told him not to do. He suddenly understood why it had annoyed his first mate so much.

"You didn't..." Kaden denied as Jarrus turned to his grandson in confusion before realization filled his eyes.

"Damien, ya bull headed son of a pig..." Jarrus's odd insult went ignored as Damien folded his arms across his chest in either pride or defense, Kaden wasn't sure which.

"Didn't you guys wonder how I survived the Kraken attack? Isn't it a good thing I learned a bit of magic?" Damien defended as Anzu suddenly started to chuckle. The men glared at the demon who simply continued to laugh at their predicament.

"This will definitely enrage the woman."

***

Your friends are very tiresome. Anzu's voice echoed slightly in the air.

"I realize, but do not harm them." Arabella growled as she lay on a stone table somewhere in the middle of her mind's labyrinth. She did not have the time to go meandering through the maze just to uncover painful memories and unnecessary feelings. She needed to regain her strength. It was taking all that she had left just to keep the ship afloat and keep Anzu from completely taking over.