Chapter 13

I watched him from the corner of the room. The hospital had let me out for a while and even though I didn't really want to see him, I'd made my way to Kye's house anyway.

Even though he didn't want me and I had no idea what I was to him, where else was I supposed to go? I'd grown close to Kye and the sudden truth of his real feelings was still kind of a shock to me. I'd deal with it in my own way (my own way for the time being was spending every waking minute with him as usual.)

It was partly my fault, I mean I don't know what came over me the night before but all of a sudden I just wanted him. Somehow I'm glad I did it though, cause now I knew what I was to him.

Nothing.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Kye asked me, slamming down his pencil in agitation.

I turned my head away from him, finding the plain patterns of his blue comforter quite interesting. "I was just thinking of the exact moment I became a play toy."

"You are not a toy, Francesca." He said running his hand through his hair in annoyance.

"That's not what you said yesterday." I mumbled into my folded arms. "If this is all you thought of me why weren't you straight with me from the start."

"Dammit Francesca just shut up," he said giving me a nasty look. He was on his feet and then kneeling down in front of me. "Look, I'm sorry I said what I did and I handled that situation terribly, but aside from that you need to suck it up and stop being a brat. I've told you time and time again that you're my girl and I mean that, so stop being so insecure and stop saying stupid things okay."

I watched his eyes closely, not knowing what to say. I knew I was being unreasonable and selfish but I was hurt and being so I couldn't stop my tongue from slipping. "You're not--"

"No," he said, hitting the wall beside my head. He took a breath and leaned forward, resting his forehead on mine. "Just don't, alright? I love you. Dammit I didn't want to tell you like this....but I do. I love you, so you're not going to get rid of me so easily."

I was surprised, really really surprised and truthfully speechless. Okay, I was speechless for about twelve seconds and then I got scared. Scared that he'd only said those things to calm me down or to shut me up. He couldn't have truly meant that. No it wasn't possible and I wasn't going to be the stupid little girl to fall for the same trick for the second boyfriend in a row.

When he'd gotten up and settled back into his chair, without another word I took the opportunity to rise to my feet and inch toward the door. "I think I'm gonna head out."

"No," he said not bothering to look at me as he said, "you're going to sit your skinny ass back down and shut up, I've got six more pages to do and then I can drive you back. Otherwise you'll get sick and I've already delt with enough of your bullshit."

As if my stillness wasn't indication enough of my definite obedience, he turned slightly in his chair and raised an eyebrow that said, "try something else. I dare you."

I just nodded slowly as he turned back around in his seat. I was still processing the severity of what he'd just told me. How he'd just acted, what he was feeling. And all at once I was feeling it too. Closing the space between us I hesitated a second but then leaning over him I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and spoke softly into his ear.

"I love you too."

Kye's six pages was taking longer than I expected and even though I'd overestimated the weather by a long shot, and it was freezing already in Kye's house. Still I had to sneak outside to get some air. We'd just told each other the three magic words. In a somewhat unorthodox way, I'll admit, but nonetheless it was special. And I needed a second to breathe. 

By myself I'd only worn a long sleeve shirt and the only pair of blue jeans I had that fit me properly. Not knowing it'd be as nippy as it was outside I'd settled for only that much coverage, but going outside a second time I grabbed one of Kye's warm hoodies to wrap around myself and walk out the pillared front of his suburban household. 

Reaching the edge of his front lawn I wrapped my arms around myself tightly and smiled dazedly at nothing in particular. The look on his face when he'd said it to me was somewhat unforgettable. It was upset, tired, and worried, but unforgettable. I felt my face scrunch up at that thought. I've been putting him through too much. Maybe I'll ask the Hospital staff to help me make cupcakes for him someday. 

A small shiver shot up my spine and somehow I knew it was from the sheer cold. Actually starting to get annoyed with this constant shivering I sighed. It'd been happening all day and just a few hours ago I'd started sneezing. Kye had been so encapsulated in his homework that he hadn't noticed, and I was truly grateful for that. If he'd seen me sneezing he'd throw too much of a fuss. 

Thinking I had better let it out my system before Kye caught me sneaking around his front lawn, I let out the sneeze I'd been holding back for a while. As if on cue Kye's voice drifted from the direction of the front door. "Was that a sneeze I heard?" 

"No Dad." I mumbled, letting my arms fall to my sides, Kye's oversized hoodie falling open at my sides. "I was just clearing my throat." 

"Yeah, my ass." He grumbled as he eased up to me, his hand raising automatically to my forehead the other holding my shoulder gently. Unsatisfied but thorough he reached down and zipped up the hoodie all the way to the top. It sagged down away from my collarbone, but kept my arms warm in a big embrace of fabric. It didn't hurt that it smelled like him too. "Fran, you're a bit warm can we go in the house?" 

"It's just as cold in there." I point out. 

He tugged on my sleeves insistently, "I'll turn up the heat for you babe. Come on."  

I nodded but walked the opposite direction of the door. "I like the air today Kye. Let's stay out a bit longer." 

He eyed me worriedly and he obviously didn't agree so I turned away from him and stretched up to the sky. Reaching down I grabbed his hand and pressed it to my cheek firmly. It was icy and felt good on my mysteriously burning cheeks and ears. And aside from that, I loved the feel of his skin on mine no matter what the occasion. 

Kye gazed down at me, that same worried look on his face. I urged him to lighten up and he just shrugged unwavering. I could feel the numb creep into my toes and Kye's deep pockets weren't exactly enough to keep my hands warm, but I wasn't exactly itching to move just yet. He was looking at me so intently I couldn't ruin the moment for myself. And the pressure from his gaze was causing my face to heat up warmer than ever before.

"You ready to go back now?" He asked suddenly, this time tugging me toward his car and not the house. 

I planted my feet and dug my heels deep into the grass. "Wait, wait! Why so suddenly? What's going on?" 

He gave me a desperate pleading look. "I can tell already, you're getting sick Francesca. Please listen to me." 

"You worry too much." 

"I know what I'm talking about." He said. "You're too...You're too small to start catching common colds. It'll suck the life out of you." 

"You sound like my mother." I used the phrase lightly because in all actuality my mother hadn't even visited me once since I'd been hospitalized. 

His own cheeks gained some color and his fist clenched convincingly. Biting his tongue and grinding his teeth he spoke cautiously. "I'm only worried about you. Okay. So let's go." 

Sensing I should comply before he blew something, I nodded and hooked my arm in his. "Please escort me to my chambers." 

Wrapping an arm around my shoulders tightly he guffawed annoyed but still smirked smugly. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say Sickie."