Chapter 5

Another week. It had been another week since I'd seen her and I was sort of worried. We spent that afternoon and the day after that together and I wasn't shamed to admit she was growing on me. Francesca was soft and sweet and completely not what I expected her to be. I pictured another cutter being cold. Almost as distant as me. And really really self dependent. I didn't expect someone who cried at the sight of babies crying and couldn't maintain her own body heat in the winter. Not someone who was able to smile so sweet but at the same time think wicked terrible thoughts about herself. It was a shame really the things she believed.

She was funny though. The looks she gave me and the way she didn't answer questions with her words but mostly with her gestures. I was adjusting quickly to them but after not seeing her in a week I was really getting concerned. She said she took some courses at my high school during the afternoon, but I could never seem to catch up with her. It was probably bad scheduling but after getting desperate I turned to her most likely group of friends. Good thing I was friends with everyone in school.

"Well if it isn't the man himself!" My friend Ralph called out from his spot on the grass. I smiled at him giving his knuckles a touch as I closed in on his circle. He was with two girls I vaguely knew as Lisa and Stacey. I said hi to them politely too before turning back to Ralph.His dark skin tone was a refreshing change from the wall to wall white the school had to offer. I mean I was obviously no different but god could this school go for a little diversity.

"Hey!" I said taking a seat next to him and rustling his hair a bit. "What's up man?"

"Waiting for you to come around again." He said with a smirk. "Man we haven't seen you in like a month. Jockeys got ya down?"

"Nah," I said a bit distantly. I hated to be so rude but I had come over there for a reason and it was killing me really. "But hey, do any of you guys know a Francesca Whellings?"

"Franny!" They all chimed in unison. I internally smiled, happy that she had some friends here. "Yeah. She's an SC High girl at heart, but why are you looking for her?"

"Oh, I was just hoping to catch up with her." I said and immediately I knew there was something wrong. A weird silence fell over the group and the three friends looked from one another with lowered heads.

"Ah, I don't know how close you guys are or anything but if you want to see her, she's in the hospital." The girl Lisa said, ducking her head immediately after. I felt my eyebrows shoot up and my eyes widen. There was no doubt to anyone in the group that this news was a surprise to me.

"The hospital?" I asked. "I knew...what for?"

They all gave me a knowing looks and I couldn't help but nod in agreement. She was just too small, it was just a matter of time before complications started arising. I just hoped now it would give her an excuse to get some help. I was gaining a new friend and I sure as hell didn't want to lose her over a pound or two.

"Uh, sorry guys I'm gonna get out of here." I said standing up and straightening out my clothes. They all nodded in understanding and said their goodbyes.

Rushing off I headed toward the one and only hospital within a fifty mile radius of our town. It was big and intimidating but I knew it well. As a child I was in and out of this hospital, not having the strength to protect myself against my dad, but as I got bigger the hospital visits became less frequent. As I made my way past the visitors desk, telling them I was a friend bringing homework, I wondered how long she'd been in the hospital. Did something happen after I'd left her the other day? Did she get emitted yesterday? What was it for? Cutting or the other thing? Was she okay, or was she hanging on? I tried not to work myself up as these questions rushed throughout my head. I mean it wasn't that I cared about her...I just really hoped she was okay.