Chapter 1

~A/N~ So this is my first fanfic, sorry if it's not as good as any other fanfics you've read 😞 thanks for reading!

~

*Anna's POV*

I sat quietly in front of the mirror. I knew it couldn't be long before my sorry excuse for a father came home in his full out drunken state.

Even though I was only 13, I had been through more than your average person. I stared into my own piercing green eyes. Stone hard on the surface, but shattered underneath. While I seemed tough, I was no more than a broken girl.

I allowed my eyes to travel further down my body. My long, light brown locks fell in bleeding waves over my thin body. I traced a hand lightly over one of my scars, a tear falling down my face.

I was living with an abusive dad, yes, but I was a survivor. I was smart and I knew how to find food and keep myself alive. My future wasn't exactly bright, but it was definitely beaming at the end of my dark tunnel.

I lay in my bed and began to read one of my all time favourite books, "The Hunger Games". Waiting for him to come home. The tiny, box of a TV in my room was blaring. The cloudy screen showed various celebrities. I was half paying attention the TV when suddenly an annoying, high pitched voice played through the speakers.

Worldwide famous british boy band ONE DIRECTION will be taking the stage toni-" I cut the power. So my brother was in town. World famous Harry Styles, a heartthrob yet too busy for his own younger sister.

*flashback*

A creaking old bed. A sobbing eleven year old girl. A seventeen year old boy with curly hair and piercing green eyes. A crash downstairs.

"I will never let him hurt you," whispered the boy. He stroked her hair. The promise hung in the air. The girl looked up.

"Promise?" she whispered.

"Promise."

*back to current time*

But he had left me for a better life. After reaching fame, he had seemingly forgotten about me. I received cards on my birthday, but that was all. Not even a call. I slammed my book shut.

My dog, Dash, lay by my side quietly. I stroked him absentmindedly. His vest made noises as he rolled over.

You may be wondering, why is he wearing a vest?

*flashback*

It had been almost a year since he had left me. I leaned back against my bedroom door, blinking furiously and breathing heavily. A voice sounded in the front hall.

"Anna darling," the voice deliriously yelled. My father. Footsteps came closer to my door. Escape. I needed escape. In a panic, I glanced towards the window. I ran towards it, but just as I was struggling to open it, my door opened.

"There you are, you filthy bitch," he grinned. I could practically taste the alcohol in the air.

"Stay away" I said nervously, backing into a corner.

"I can do whatever I want, you slut." He pushed his mouth up against mine and unbuttoned my shirt. I pushed him off, gasping for air. He narrowed his eyes.

"You disgusting little whore." he said, advancing toward me. He raised his fist and slammed it into my chest. A sickening crack filled the air. I sunk to the ground, gasping. My father walked out of my room, leaving me on the ground in my pain.

*back to current time*

The pain from that night was fresh as if it had just happened yesterday. The next morning I had walked myself down to the hospital, explaining that I had run into a pole at track and field practice.

They fixed my chest as best that they could, but explained that 2 of my ribs had been broken. One rib was permenantly dispositioned, and was pressing on my airways. I was given a puffer to help open my airways and let me breathe normally.

The next day, a small black and white dog wearing a blue vest walked into the hospital room. Dash was given to me. As a service dog, Dash was trained to carry my inhaler and remind me to take it, as well as alert me when an attack was coming.I would have died many times without Dash.

Not only is Dash trained to help me with my breathing, he is also trained to help me with panic attacks. After 13 years of domestic and sexual abuse, I had been seriously damaged.

He let me know when I was going to have a panic attack, and he knew what to do when I had one. Whenever I was walking in a crowd, he created a barrier between me and everyone else. I didn't like to be touched, and it triggered my panic attacks.

Dash almost acted like a parent towards me. He woke me up for school, calmed me down when I was upset, protected me from other people. The only person he couldn't protect me from was the very ruiner of my entire world.

The abuse happened almost every night.

Suddenly, there was a tapping at my door. My breath caught in my throat. Dash stood up quickly, and rubbed against me. Could it be my father? No. Too early. I approached the door cautiously, then swung it open.

There stood my best and only friend in the world, Zach. He had lemon coloured hair and an easy smile. He too, had a single, useless parent that barely paid the rent, let alone fed him. Together, we survive.

"Zach!" I gasped. "You scared the life out of me" I spoke quietly but with urgency.

"Sorry," he whispered. He pulled me in for a hug. "How much longer until he comes back?" he asked. Zach lived a few doors down from me, so it was easy for him to come over and check up on me whenever he wanted.

"Who knows?" I answered honestly. The time varied every night, depending on what time the party died down or when they ran out of alcohol.

"I'll wait out back for you, Anna" he said quietly. I nodded solemnly in response. Almost every night when the torture ended, me and Zach met behind our ratty houses and talked, played a game of soccer, or shared what food we had, if any. I turned away as he climbed through the window.

Once upon a time Zach wanted more than anything to stay with me and help fight off my dad. But I couldn't stand the thought of him being hurt too.

A few minutes passed. I tapped my foot in a constant rhythm to pass time.

All of a sudden, the phone rang. That was weird. The phone hardly ever rang, unless it was about late bills.

"Miss Anna Styles?" came the voice on the phone.

"Yes?" I answered, trying to sound older than I was.

"I'm afraid there's been an accident."

~

*A/N* lol cliffhanger! Leave comments, hope you liked it! Sorry if it was a little slow, it will pick up in the next few chapters (: