Chapter Fifteen Parts A&B: The Wolf and the Lamb

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
The Wolf and the Lamb 

Pelle sub agnina latitat mens saepe lupina
(Under a sheep’s skin often hides a wolfish mind)

In a world where mythical creatures exist and stories come true, a woman with untapped magic powers was still considered rare. The Count was well aware of the value of Miss Redley, to the degree that he kept the maiden close to him as he moved through the dim tunnels that led to the estate's true secrets.

Were it not for the faint light emanating from the small stones embedded in the walls or the glowworms writhing blindly in the darkness, she would not be able to see anything, including the man who kept her moving quickly along a floor of mixed rock and limestone.

Wolfram did not have to tell her when they had arrived at their destination. As she looked up into an expansive cavern lined with numerous blue stones twinkling gently like stars, she stopped walking.

For a moment, Elanore held her breath before letting it out unevenly. She trembled, not at the chilly temperatures but at the ethereal beauty of the place. And then a troubled look spread over her face as she contemplated the treasure before her. "If the townspeople knew of this place—"

"They do not and shall not," he answered with a chilly glance at the girl, reminding her of her promise.

"Of course not," she responded indignantly.

Pacified, he kept a hand at her waist and used his other free hand to retrieve the chain from his pocket. As his fingers unfurled, he revealed a stone that had already begun to shimmer in response to the others. His eyes, too, seemed to shine as they turned to the ceiling.

A blue and white light danced about the room and Elanore watched, transfixed by the sight.

Her reaction appeared to please the man. And why should it not? After all the difficulties she had thrown his way, Miss Redley's sentiments seemed to be revolving rapidly in the Count's favor. "At one time, I once resonated with these stones, enough so that I could use the one in my hand to harness the light of all of these stones in order to turn back the shadow creatures we call the Unthings. However now, the stone no longer shines for me outside this room. "

She stiffened slightly. "Why should the gift of magic leave you?"

"Why should it?" His face contorted strangely. Elanore sensed a tremendous amount of anger and hatred. Instinctively, she stepped back.

Her absence at his side appeared to startle him. Immediately the Count's face resolved itself into a more neutral look as he brought whatever feelings of revulsion and fury under control. "I crossed a line," he began to say. "And when I crossed that line, I believe that the magic inherent in these stones began to reject me. Over time, the intermittent failure of the stone to respond to me became more obvious. And soon I could not use the stone at all."

Elanore felt his explanation was lacking some important detail. Carefully she asked, "Did that happen at the same time when the lions were no longer able to speak to you?"

"Yes," he set his mouth into a hard line. "As pieces of these stones make up the lion guardians outside, my inability to use the one I hold means the lions ceased to speak or move for me as well. Even so," he squared his shoulders. "Even as powerless as I might be, I still am their guardian against whatever might come this way."

She placed a reassuring hand upon his arm believing she now understood why the Count was so cold towards people in general. Suspicion and unfriendliness were some of the few weapons he had against other people. "Surely someone in your family might have known how to restore that magic. Or aide you."