Don't Speak

The clouds were growing darker with every passing moment. She said there, staring out the window as thunder rolled in the distance. Her feet dangled slightly from the window she sat in, wondering if this day could have gotten any worse.

     A whole week of planning had gone into this day, the day they finally would get to see each other after a long and busy school month. After a week full of making sure thigns fell into place, to get to see each other at last and not worry about school, work, or any worries...

     Thunder clapped in the distance, startling the girl out of the window and onto her floor. With an 'umf' she hit the ground with her rump. She sighed and just stood up, glaring at the image mother nature was painting outside.

     She stood there, thinking how unfair the world was when her phone rang from her bed. She knew by the ring-tone that it was her little bird calling. While making her way over to the bed, she wondered what she would say. Sorry? Would she complain about the weather? She wasn't sure.

     She picked up the phone and answered with a sigh, but never got the chance to actually speak.

     "Come outside," He said, surprising her. Before she could even breath to argue, he was already honking from the driveway. She sighed and gave a short "okay" before hanging up. She grabbed her sweater in case it was cold, and then her shoulder bag. With her phone and extra cash in her bag, she made her way outside.

     There he was, her little bird, sitting in the driveway. Without a word she made her way over to the car, and he was already out to wait on her. 

     Her little bird was truly a gentlemen. He held the door open for her and made sure she was comfortable in her seat before shutting the door. He made his way over to the driver's side and started the car.

     "Don't speak," he said as he pulled out of the driveway. She was surprised at his sudden words, a strange ones at that. Of course when she opened her mouth to speak, her little bird chirped again, "Don't speak."

     With a frustrated sigh she fell silent, staring out the window as the first few drops began leaking from the sky. He lived on the other side of town, and so it took them a while before they were in his driveway.

     This frightened her.

     Their families were not the best of friends. Now don't go thinking this is a forbidden love story, because it's not. They were completely okay to see each other, it's just their parents were not best friends... then again his parents were not big fans of her either.

    She noticed that the only car parked here was his, and seeing that his family was gone calmed her nerves a bit. Maybe she wouldn't have to worry about them burning into the back of her neck.

     He came over to her side and opened the door, taking her hand as he helped her out. After shutting the door he lead her to the front door. 

     Once they were inside she noticed how dark it really was. The lights were off, and it almost seemed like the evening but she knew it was the middle of the day. He turned on a few lights in the hallway and then lead her to the living room. 

     With a smile on his face he turned to show that the furniture had been moved out of the way, leaving the stone-like floor bare. The couches and chairs had been pushed against the walls, and she wondered what in the world was going on.

     "Don't speak!" He said quickly, rushing over to cover her mouth with his hand. She laughed slightly and pushed his hand away, nodding. She wouldn't speak.

     He smiled and then lead her to the kitchen, and the sight stopped her.

     It was too cheesy. The table had two short, round candles on it and two plates. What caused her to laugh were the two happy meal boxes sitting on those plates. She turned but he was already pushing her towards one chair. He pulled it out and pushed it in once she sat down.

     They sat and ate their happy meals in silence, only looking at each other. They ended up in a facial war when he started making funny faces at her. Both were trying to outshine the other on a funny face when the lights shuddered at the sound of thunder.

     He sighed, getting up and going over to pull out her chair. He reminded her again to stay quiet with a finger on his lips, smiling at her as he offered her his arm. When she took it he lead her to the living room again. 

      Then they danced.

      His music choice pleased her and then again made her life. He had surprisingly chosen to dance to Nat King Cole's Stardust. Now she loved this kind of music, but never thought he knew that. Towards the end of it though the power cut off, and they were left in silence and darkness.

     The cold floor made her shiver now that she thought about it, and she heard her little bird chuckle. Quickly he grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the front door.

     He swung it open to show the rain bouncing off the street, and also the cold wind nipping at her skin. She shivered again and brought her sweater closer to her. Before she even began to form a sentence he was pulling her out into mother nature's painting.

     With a few surprised shrieks and laughter, she was picked up and carried out to the street. He placed her down and smiled down at her as he took up her arm and wrapped his other around her waist.

     "Don't speak."

     Again she was reminded, and now she understood. Together they hummed Stardust as they danced in the rain, laughing and making funny faces at each other.

     Together they didn't listen to each other, they watched each other. They didn't tell each other how much they loved one another, because it was clear in the smile on their faces, and the bright flare in their eyes.