We Thought We Escaped

I used to think the worst feeling in the world was losing someone you love, but I was wrong. The worst feeling in the world is the moment that you realize you've lost yourself.

____________________

Elena and the others wandered into their new home later in the evening, exhausted and sullen. It was a beautiful house nestled in the outskirts of town and otherwise would have been perfect for them if the circumstances were different.

None of them even bothered to admire the magnificence of the place. All their minds were elsewhere. Elena couldn't help but question why is it they were always dealt a bad hand. They had wronged each other and done unforgivable things, but they were trying to be better. Even Klaus Mikaelson, feared by all, was making the effort to be good.

Some of them had a thousand years worth of mistakes, had they run out of chances?

She didn't know where she was going as she strolled the halls, but she could smell bourbon and knew when she found the source she would also find Damon.

"I'll give you a minute," Stefan said to her softly before parting ways knowing very well these would be her last moments with his brother while he was sane. Once he knew about what had occurred today he was bound to be livid.

The brunette stopped in front of a door and listened. She smiled as she heard humming coming from the other side. Damon was in a good mood and she hated how that was quickly going to change in the minutes to come.

Slowly she opened the door and walked in and felt the dread in her grow.

The room was larger than she expected double the size of the one they shared at the boarding house. The king size bed barely took up any space at all. Rather than walls, there were windows all around overlooking the forest around them. The long curtains were drawn all the way open allowing the light of the setting sun to stream in.

"I thought you might like this," Damon commented from his place in front of the window. The light illuminated his features in all the right ways defining his sculpted cheekbones and brightening the alluring sparkle in his eyes.

The butterflies in her stomach fluttered as she approached him. After all these years, he still managed to make her feel nervous and anxious in his presence.

"I do," his arm settled over her shoulder and pulled her close to his side, "It's amazing."

And it truly was. Before them was nature at its prime, open and calm. It was even more beautiful than Damon hoped it would be when he bought the place from its previous owners. It was a hefty bill, but one that was worth every penny.

"Well, what can I say? What my woman wants she shall get," he teased peppering kisses to her forehead and cheek.

She smiled and held him tightly relishing this time while he was content and loving. He had personally chosen this town for them to move to thinking it would be good for them, but now it was about to blow up in his face. If it was one thing Damon Salvatore did not take well it was being wrong.

"So I was thinking we could leave the rest of the day to ourselves just you and me. I cook and you relax with an expensive bottle of red wine. I want to remember our first night here, you know, celebrate a new time in our lives and what not. How does that sound?"

Her heart sank in her chest and even if he didn't know her like the back of his hand he still would have been able to tell something was wrong. "Or not," he quickly remedied and stepped away from her, "we could do it some other time if tonight isn't good. I didn't think that maybe you might have already made plans or something. I just thought..."