Chapter 17

Liam can see the pool if he looks out his window and cranes his neck. He can see the lights inside, can faintly make out Zayn gliding through the water. He's not sure how long he spends staring out the window, and he knows it's a little weird, but whatever. No one's there to see him do it because Harry's out with Louis somewhere.

At about one, Zayn gets out of the pool and the lights go out. Liam is just heading to bed when Harry and Niall come into the room. They're both laughing and clutching to each other, and Liam figures that Eleanor managed to sneak alcohol from the kitchen for them all. How nice.

"Liam!" Harry says loudly, jumping at him. Liam ducks out of the way at the last second. "How was your pool date with Zayn?"

"It was fine," Liam lies.

"Aw," Niall coos, reaching forward to scrub a hand over Liam's hair. "He's all grown up, Harry. Our Liam and his first love."

"I'm not in love with him," Liam snaps.

"Ooh, someone's touchy," Harry comments while flopping onto his bed. "So, what'd you two do?"

"We were at the pool," Liam snaps, continuing with the lie. "What do you think we did?"

"Sex," Harry and Niall answer immediately.

Liam shakes his head and climbs into bed. "Whatever. I'm tired, can you two shut up?"

"Eye eye, Wonderboy," Harry says, giggling.

Liam looks at him sharply. "What did you just call me?"

Harry frowns. "Sorry," he says quickly. "Something Louis picked up. I don't know. I heard him use it once or twice."

"Don't call me that," Liam says, pulling a pillow over his head.

He wakes up the next day feeling like he hadn't slept at all, probably because he'd spent most of the night tossing in bed. This is exactly what he meant about Zayn getting under his skin. Liam just desperately needs him to get out, because it wasn't fun anymore. Liam believed in giving people chances, but Zayn had gotten far too many, and he's just done.

Zayn calls in fifteen orders of room service. Liam knows this because he's personally requested every time to bring them to his room, and every time Liam passes the work on to Jake.

"Just go fucking talk to him," Jake snaps as Zayn calls in an order for a plate of chips . "I swear to God, Liam, I'm going to punch your boyfriend in the face."

Liam gapes at him. "My what?"

Jake raises his eyebrow. "Oh, come on, Liam. Don't tell me you didn't fuck him, because that boy looks like a lost puppy every time he opens the door and finds it's not you on the other side."

"I didn't," Liam says flatly.

Jake shrugs and picks up Zayn's orders of chips. "Maybe you should, then," Jake suggests. "Let that poor boy out of his misery. And did I really just say that? Do I actually feel bad for Zayn Malik? Fuck, Payne, fix this." He shakes his head and ducks out of the kitchen.

Thankfully, Liam's off room service by the time Jake gets back and gives Liam another warning look. At dinner Eleanor sits beside him and pets his head.

"I don't think they're still together," Eleanor says softly. "Okay? I don't know what exactly is going on here, but -- listen to him. Doesn't he deserve that, at least?"

"I don't think he really deserves anything," Liam tells her.

Niall and Harry looks confused. "What happened?" Harry asks first.