2nd Place

Next is the winner of SECOND PLACE in the 250K Contest

Next is the winner of SECOND PLACE in the 250K Contest. This Wattpad author is...

calirue !!!

Congratulations :) Your short story had another creative plot twist involving President Hybriad. I love how you wrote from Stephen's perspective and captured the unfair, icy tone of Enhancement. The cruelty you wove into Hybriad's personality made me feel terrified and powerless just like the way Stephen felt. Great job with your fanfic story!

-- -- -- -- --

Here is calirue  's short story:

I walk stiffly around the corner of the big building, running my hands along the rough, gray walls. The hall seems to extend for forever until I finally stop in front of a door, and take a deep breath in.

I exhale, and knock on the door to the office.

"Come in."

I twist my sullen expression into a smile and open the door.

"Hi, dad." I say, weakly. I step over to his desk and look down at my feet.

"Stephen, good to see you," my dad says with a hint of a smile on his aged face. "How's it going with subject number 400?"

My insides plummet. I knew he would ask.

"Her name is Holland."

He chuckles wryly. "Son, it doesn't matter what her name is. She's our best bet for the Enhancement Project. All we need to know is her number."

I clench my fists. She is more than just a number.

"Anyway, thank you for watching over her. When she becomes our true leader of the Screeners under the influence of the Enhancement Project, it will all be thanks to you." My dad nods appreciatively.

"Of course, sir." I nod, my heart pounding in my chest. The feeling of dread only increases within me.

"Now, I need you to take number 400 to Commander Liad. When you do, we will be able to take control of the rebel forces, and perform the next phase of the Enhancement Project." My dad sighs. "Unfortunately, number 400 may get hurt in the process, but some sacrifices are necessary." He shrugs.

I start to protest, saying, "Dad, that isn't really necessary. Holland will cooperate in due time, you don't have to do this. It's too dangerous."

My dad's expression hardens, an evil glint in his eyes. "I see. You love her, is that right? Well son, I can guarantee that she won't love you back once she finds out that you're in charge of her being in the Enhancement Project. You didn't pick her randomly. You chose her, and it is your fault that she is enhanced. She will never forgive you."

With those few, crushing statements, I drop to my knees, putting my head in my hands.

Holland.

I never wanted things to be this way. I love her, truly.

Yet, I am the cause of all of her pain.

"Stephen?" My dad asks, looking down at me from his desk.

I stand up and look at him. "I do love her." I whisper.

My dad sighs, tapping his fingers against his mahogany desk. "That's unfortunate. Love makes you weak. All the more reason that number 400 needs to be in the project."

I squeeze my eyes shut.

"No," I say harshly. "I will not help you anymore. I want to be with Holland. I don't care what you say."

My father looks surprised, but shakes his head.

"Such a pity." My dad frowns, and pushes a button on his desk.

Quickly, my head starts to buzz, and bam, the lighting strikes, my head feeling like it is going to explode. The zapping continues until I collapse on to the floor again.

When I have the energy to stand, I have no control over my body. My eyes start to dart wildly around the room. It's happening again.

My father clears his throat. "It's for your own good, son. Number 399, you are dismissed."

I feel my body turn and walk back out of the room. I close the door behind me, and start to walk back down the hallway from which I came.

I muster enough strength to fight the program and turn my head, but the only thing I can see as my body continues to move forward is the name plate on my dad's door.

President Hybriad.

-- -- -- -- --

Comment your thoughts and comments above calirue  's story HERE!