Rickola | Chapter Five

 © Katelyn Moore

The fake diamonds encrusted into the earrings glittered as I moved the box from side to side. They were studs shaped like questions marks—very pretty, but not right. The symbol of questioning and confusion didn’t seem to fit either Kylie or Bianca. They both knew what they wanted in life and had nothing to be confused about, which meant they had no questions to ask. If anything, I should buy them for myself.

I put the small box back in its place. Those earrings definitely wouldn’t do. The cashier sitting on a stool near the wheel of the cart watched me closely as I picked up a crescent moon necklace and examined it.

Shopping for my little sister and best friend was always difficult, and this year was no exception. I had no idea what to get either of them and standing at this jewellery stall in the middle of the shopping centre wasn’t changing that. I just couldn’t seem to concentrate on finding them the perfect gifts.

That’s what you get for being an obsessive idiot.

Yes, I was a newly obsessive, moronic idiot, and I was paying for my recent greediness. All my worries about the time I had spent with Rick Avery were finally catching up with me, and boy was I feeling it. Disappointment, resentment, regrets… the whole kit-and-caboodle. It weighed me down as rain weighed down your jacket during a summer storm.

I was behaving like any celebrity-obsessed teen. It was pathetic, and so not me.

My day with Rick Avery had been heavenly. I enjoyed being around him, and I loved feeling his touch, but all that came at a cost. Half of me knew this would happen and attempted to keep all the traitorous thoughts and memories out of my head, but the rest of me embraced the hurting. I deserved this, and I would deal with it no matter how much I tried to avoid it. I couldn’t feel much stupider than I did right now.

I had let my guard down in the wake of a celebrity. If it had been any other boy, I would have stopped myself from feeling the things that I had, but because he was Rick Avery, all my defences crumbled. I had once been told that I should always open up, that I should always let myself feel, but it was easier said then done. Obviously, all this caution had consequences and I wondered if I would ever learn.

Not likely.

Sighing to myself, I placed the necklace back on the hook. I wouldn’t find the perfect gift here. “You’re so stupid,” I mumbled lowly, wishing I had the will to concentrate on my task.

“Well now, I have my moments, but stupid is a little harsh, don’t you think?”

My hand flew to my chest as I spun around, heart quickening with freight and excitement. “Dude, you really gotta stop doing that.”

Rick smiled down at me. This couldn’t be. He was here, in front of me. Perfect hair, beautiful face, brilliant smile—all of him. Here. He pulled his sunglasses down his nose, revealing those dazzling hazel eyes, and looked at me with raised brows. “Did you just call me dude?”

I faltered under his scrutiny. “No.” My nose scrunched up at the lie. If it was even possible, his eyebrows rose higher, questioning me. “Yes,” I finally admitted. “Is that so weird?”

Yes, yes it was weird. It was very weird. I called people ‘dude’ all the time, but never strangers. Well, Rick wasn’t really a stranger, was he? Okay, I had only met him a couple of days ago, but I still knew him, didn’t I?

Oh, stop thinking about it!

Every time he showed up, my mind scattered and I said things without thinking.  I couldn’t help it though; he had this uncanny way of messing with my level head. It was infuriating.