Currents Convulsive

"Are you avoiding her?" Nathan had asked me the same question probably five times each day.

I mean I'm not avoiding her, I'm just trying to get myself use to the idea of it, not that there's nothing wrong with her being that way. I really never in my life have had a gay friend, back home it was a small conservative town. If anyone was gay, they're probably too scared to even admit it. I would hear the churches talk about it being wrong, but how could it be wrong? If someone loves another person why don't they have the right to be with them? Just because a thousand year old book says so? Times have changed, this isn't the world they grew up in.

"I'm not avoiding her, I just don't know how to think. Have you heard my jokes before? What if I offend her? I mean I like her, she's really cool and she's better company than half the girls I've met here"

I rested my head on Nathans shoulder, we were sitting in the quiet room. It was basically a room you only use for crazy people, there were white pads covering the walls, restraints on the ground, basically the usual idea of what a mental hospital room could look like. Fortunately they don't use this specific room anymore because the camera broke down since who knows?

"Are you scared she'll catch feelings for you?" Feelings? I never even thought of that. I mean it would ruin our friendship because I wouldn't have the same feelings back. I mean don't get me wrong, she's beyond beautiful, her sense of humor is perfect, her shy demeanor is attract- what am I saying?

"I really didn't think of that so I don't think that's my fear, if anything she's out of my league anyways" I chuckled. I am a potato.

"Shush, you're amazing" He whispered. "We should get back, movie night starts in an hour and I have to set up" He said while getting up from the floor and extending his hand out to help me up.

"Movie night? It's Friday though..." I stated while getting up.

"Trin, it's Saturday. I need to buy you a calendar" He said with a small laugh. He was probably right about me needing a calendar. It practically felt impossible to keep up with days in here, especially when I would go for days without seeing the outside. I felt like a prisoner.

"I told Victoria she should sit by me for movie night" I hadn't even had a decent conversation with her since three nights ago. How awkward is this going to be?

"Perfect, this is the chance for you to get over what ever has gotten into you that has you feeling nervous" He says it like it's the easiest thing to do. It is but it... isn't? Okay I myself don't know.

We exited the room, traveling separate ways down the hallway not saying so much as a goodbye. I'd bump into to him in less than ten minutes anyway. I was going to head back to my room to sort out covers to take to movie night. I always tried to leave my door open so I could go in and out as I pleased without having to ask the nurses to open the door for me. Lucky for me, it was slightly ajar when I approached it. Before I could fully push the door open I could hear someone crying, I slowly walked in not expecting it to be true. But it was, Victoria was sitting in the corner of her bed, back against the wall, and her face hidden by her hands.

"Victoria?" I asked cautiously. She didn't even as so much look up. How long had she been in here like this, it couldn't have been more than fifteen minutes the nurses are supposed to check everyone by then.

"What's wrong?" I walked over to her bed and sat on the side across from her.

"Nothing" I could tell she had been crying for a while, the hair in front of her face had gone damp. I didn't know if I should push the topic further, I wasn't one to comfort people which was ironic considering I had friends try to comfort me often.