Chapter Twenty Six

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twenty Six

Hello, Dear 

A few school days passed since I made my agreement with Claybourne. I still hadn't said anything to Simon about it, mostly because I didn't know what to tell him. 

My half-closed eyes peered through to see the bedroom and remembered it was Saturday. The blanket of my bed was the only thing comforting me. I didn't feel Simon's arms around me like I usually did. I opened my eyes and laid in my bed as sleep left me in solitude. 

After fighting the urge to just lie there, I pushed myself up and went into the closet, changing into a simple white t-shirt and jeans after cleaning myself up. 

Back in the bedroom, I sat down on the bed and stared at the time on the clock: 10:21 a.m. 

This was my only chance. I could sneak around and see if Simon had the necklace somewhere around the cabin. But where could Simon be? Where could he have hidden that necklace? 

I looked in all the rooms. No one was there. Maybe Simon had gone out to feed? I thought somebody would be there at that hour though, because someone was normally with me, on watch, to make sure I was safe. Normally, if Simon wasn't there; my father was. It was morning too, so my father was supposed to be sitting on the couch reading the morning paper.

A crawling feeling inside told me something wasn’t right. 

“Hello? Is anyone here?” I called out, thinking maybe, if Simon had gone out feeding, he would hear me.

No response. 

I thought over the possibilities. They could be out feeding, or could it be possible that they assumed I would sleep until late since I stayed up late last night? 

I began looking around for some kind of note Simon could have left me, and sprinted to the fridge to see a sticky note signed by him.

Dear Daniella, 

       I had to run out to do an errand for your father. I'll be home later.

                                                                                                Sincerely, 

                                                                                                       Simon

“Looking for someone?” a snarky voice remarked behind me. I knew who it was even before I whipped around.

Quickly, I turned around to face Meriada.

"How…how did you find me?" I asked.

“I’ve been watching you,” she said with a grin. “I suspected it was you, but now I know. It was easy after I saw Mr. Kiasea leave the cabin.” I watched her as she walked in a circle around me. “I never knew he could have another daughter.”

“Another?” I asked, pretending not to know about Desiree.

“Yes, he never told you?” 

“No,” I lied.

“That’s because I killed her. And now, I’m going to kill you,” she said.

“No, you won’t. I’m going to stand and fight. And, you’re lying.”

“That’s what she said. And now, she’s dead,” Meriada said, putting on a sarcastic pout. "I’m not lying, my dear.” 

“Don't call me dear. Except, I’m going to win,” I fought back. “I know she's alive. You turned her. Didn't you? I know you did.”