How to: Build Up Characters

Once you have the basic information about the plot of your story, you can start working on your characters. Remember, they are fictional, but they are people. Imaginary people. They need to be realistic. That means, they have past, personality, flaws and virtues. They can't be flat characters. And you need to feel them alive if you want the reader to feel them alive.

1. What's the past of your character?

2. What makes them act the way the act now? Did something happened to them? We always have reasons to behave in a certain way.

3. What kind of things do they like/dislike?

4. What do they stand for?

5. What kind of people are they?

6. Why is your character suitable for the story? What makes him/her the hero/heroine of your story?

7. Think of little things that make them more realistic.  (Make a separate list on the side to remember what they "like" and "dislike" so you can refer to them in the future.)  The more you connect these little things, the more realistic the readers take the story. 

These points make a huge difference even in the simplest story. The more convincing your characters are, the better the story.

- Tina, Katie & Moni

... Next entry - How to: Present Your Book