How To: Come Up With A Plot

When it comes to writing a book you need some things. First, an idea. It doesn't have to be great, it doesn't have to be the best one there. It can be a simple and common idea, but you can make it great. All you need is thinking. Simple as that.

Even before writing, even before you chave names and settings, you need to know what you will write about. For this part there's only one important word: brainstorming. It's all about thinking. What ifs... just what ifs.

You have an idea. Then what? What am I supposed to do after I know I want to write, let's say, about a boy who has realised his life is meaningless and wants to find a reason to live? Well, here are some things you need to ask yourself.

1. Why does this happen? You need to understand the conflict of the story, the core of it. If someone asks you why things are happening the way they are, you need to be able to answer those questions.

2. What will happen to the characters during the story? You need to, at least, have clear the key events in the story. Especially the climax. Every story has a clmax and you build everything to get to that turning point. For this, have some things in mind, like:

     a) how does the characters get to meet? Meaning, why do their lives collide?

     b) what keeps them in contact/constantly meeting? What makes them spend more time together?

     c) How do they get along? why?

     d) How does the events lead tot he climax?

     e) When does the climax hit? How do you solve that?

3.  When does the story take place? Where? Why? What do I know about that place? Does it fit the story?

4. What elements will be present? Do I know enough about the things I'll be using? For instance, if you'll write about a journalist, do you know what journalists do? If not, then you need to do research. It's fiction, but a good book is always realistic and accurate. Always do research.

Once you have those things clear, you can start working on your characters. You need to have clear the biggest and most important events before you start writing. Otherwise, you'll get stuck, you'll get lost and have a bad case of writer's block.

After you have these things clear, once you have developed your idea, only then you can start working on the characters.

Hoping this helped,

-Katie, Moni & Tina.

...Next entry - How To: Build Up Characters