Chapter 14

30 April 2044

The window was facing Earth as Kyle stared out of it. Franklin Smith had been insistent that he speak with Kyle face to face today and if that meant they met on the Space Station Justice, then that is what he wanted to do.

Kyle was always wary when Smith called one of these impromptu meetings. He didn’t like surprises, especially when he was dealing with a supposedly neutral operative in a war. Today’s surprise was very welcome, though, Kyle had to admit.

“Could you repeat that, Mister Smith?” Kyle asked as he turned his chair away from the window and looked at Smith.

“An anonymous benefactor has purchased sixty warp engines for Earth to use as they wish,” Smith said as he smiled at Kyle. He was greatly enjoying the surprise and disbelief that played out across the face of the normally unshakable Marine General.

“No requirements or favors that we owe someone?” Kyle said still trying to process the information.

“None that I am aware of, General. It seems that there are others who appreciate what you are doing to the Iltia’cor.”

Kyle wondered about that. Who could it be? One of the recent liberated planets?

The Pelod homeworld, Terti, was one of the first planets liberated from the Iltia’cor. Its manufacturing facilities had immediately started producing defensive structures to prevent their newly found freedom from being taken again. As happy as they were, they didn’t seem the type to give away such an abundance of resources, especially when they could put them to good use themselves.

Fi’cala was a world of vast mineral resources, and while the Calarians were small in number, and widely dispersed through the galaxy, they were most happy to share some new ore processing methods with their liberators. However considerable their wealth was, it was not in the type of cash or trade that would buy engines this quickly, so they were unlikely to be the anonymous admirer.

The liberation of Cyrum was met with almost hostile disbelief. Earth negotiators are still actively working to help the people of Cyrum form their own statement of independence. No, they were not in the right frame of mind or level of wealth to provide sixty engines to Earth.

Kortit was the most joyous of the liberated planets. Their oppression was less than a year old, and they were quite happy to throw off the shackles that still chaffed and reminded them of their life before their captivity. But even they would not have gone so far as to have provided Earth with tools to fight the Iltia’cor. For one thing, they blamed Earth for their conquest, along with one of their own.

Kyle smiled a bit as he thought of Lon. Publically tortured almost daily since the Iltia’cor conquered his planet, Lon was still steadfast in his belief he had done the right thing. Kyle had persuaded him to come back to Earth for medical treatment and some rest. He was in a medical facility in Phoenix at the moment, and the latest report said he would fully recover from all of his injuries.

“General Martin?” Smith repeated.

Kyle refocused on the moment and looked at Smith. “I’m sorry, my mind drifted there.”

“I could tell. I had asked you where you would like the engines delivered.”

“Let’s put them at the Ellison Yards,” Kyle said looking at his tablet.

“Around Jupiter?” Smith confirmed.

“Yes. When will we get them?”

“The first order should be arriving in about ten days, General.”