Chapter 11

06 April 2043

Sergeant Major Williams scowled at General Martin. “This isn’t that hard, I mean conceptually.  The math is pretty complex, but the concept should be understandable.”

“Carl, maybe if I had time to study it, but I don’t. Just bottom line it for me,” Kyle said with his head lying on the conference table. “How fast can the warp engines move our ships?”

Williams sighed and closed his eyes. “For the last time, it’s not a matter of how fast, it’s a matter of how stable the field is.”

Kyle looked over at Sergeant Ramirez reading a news report in the corner. “Can you help me here, Alex?”

Alex looked up at them as if suddenly hearing what was going on. “Can’t explain it any clearer than he did, sir. Doesn’t sound that hard to me.”

Kyle stared at the two Marines until both men shifted uncomfortably.

“Ok, man, here it is,” Alex said finally. “If we have fully stabilized warp fields, we can travel approximately 7 to the 14th klicks in an hour.”

“That sounds really fast,” Kyle said. “Can I get that in context?”

Williams grunted and turned away.

“In 5th grade terms, sir, it’s one and a half light years an hour,” Alex said. “We could cross the entire Milky Way in about seven and a half years if we could keep a stable field that long.  And remember, it would take light about 100,000 years to pull the same trick.”

“So really, really fast,” Kyle said blankly looking at the closed folder in front of him.

Williams turned back around. “Really, really, really fast, sir. They will get us to where we need to go.”

“Ok, just wanting to make sure we get our money’s worth.”

Williams picked up his paperback and looked towards the door. “These engines will be worth it, sir.  Even though they may cost us well beyond what the Council would like. We have to take the fight to the Iltia’cor, or we will find ourselves isolated.”

“He’s right, sir,” added Alex. “The Pelod will likely not offer us this deal again. If the Iltia’cor decide to punish any other planets… we’re alone. We have to gain allies, and that means standing up to the bully.”

Kyle looked at the document in his hand. Fourteen full member Nations had representatives on the Earth Council. Fourteen Nations that a mere year ago couldn’t have agreed on the color of the curtains or shape of a table at a Motel 6 meeting room.

“Hello General Martin.” Chancellor Thomas strode into the room followed by four of his aides. “Sergeant Ramirez, Sergeant Major Williams good to see you gentlemen again. I trust you are doing well?”

“Doing well, Chancellor, thanks,” Alex said.

Kyle stood and stepped over to Thomas. “Good morning, Chancellor. Anything new on the Kortit front?”

Thomas shook his head. “Sorry General, the Iltia’cor are still blocking all official news and we haven’t heard anything concerning Lon.”

“I’m needed back in the lab and I’m sure Alex will be able to make up a similar excuse, sir. So if you will pardon us, we need to get out of the way,” Williams said as he and Ramirez started to the door. “Chancellor, good to see you again and congratulations on your election.”

“Thank you Sergeant Major,” Thomas said with genuine gratitude.

Kyle waited a few moments after Williams and Ramirez left the room. “We are responsible for Kortit being targeted by the Iltia’cor. Me and Alex most directly, but Earth as a whole. If you think that is going to cloud my judgment or compromise my desire to get this deal done, you need to take me off of this duty right now.”