Chapter 21: The bad boy and his beauty sleep

"Who was he?"

I froze on my spot. I knew this was going to happen I just didn't expect it so soon. Just take a deep breath; it's time to face this.

"Emily, who was he?" Brody repeated in a warning tone.

I cringed and began to turn around slowly. He was looking intently at me, expecting an answer and soon.

"I-I w-well...um h-he..." Why is this so hard to confront? I'm eighteen already, I'm an adult dammit!

So funny how in my mind I'm so brave but my mouth is worthless in these situations.

"Emily, calm down. I just want to know who he is." This is the first time I see him act so serious. Calm down? That only made it worse. My palms were sweaty and slightly shaking.

I need to say something to him. He sat there leaning on his elbows on the kitchen island.

"D-do you remember DJ?" I needed to begin with something familiar.

"The kid who you would play with during the summer? That was him?" He was frowning in thought.

"Yeah, well, he moved here with his dad and we met up in school. I was assigned to tutor him, that's all." My voice was almost a whisper but he understood me loud and clear. I couldn't tell him that Drake moved out here because he was in some sort of problem where he lived, one I didn't know anything about if I might add, or that he was a street fighter. I sometimes maybe naïve but I'm not stupid.

"So, you were tutoring him now? It's past midnight." He gave me that 'I'm not buying this sh*t' look. "And why would he need to jump out of your room instead of walking through the front door?"

"B-because you would all freak out if you saw him just talking to me! Let alone tutor him!" I raised my voice at him. I was getting tired of hiding everything.

"Emily you should know better. That's why we won't leave you alone with someone you barely know. Yeah, I know you used to know him when you were kids but that doesn't mean that he has not changed. He was a kid then."

"You don't know what you're talking about." I dismissed him turning to leave. I'm done listening to him, he doesn't know anything I do.

"Oh don't I?" He got up and stood in front of me blocking my path. "Well, tell me this, do you know what he used to do before he came to live here? Who were his friends? How can he even afford the bike that was on the sidewalk? Do you know his parents? Do you even know where he lives?" For the second time today I opened my mouth but it was useless. I couldn't answer any of those questions because I didn't know the answer.

"I'm an adult now. I don't need to be listening to all this sh*t."

"Then start acting like one!" My eyes widened in shock. Brody has never talked to me like that.

"And you are one to talk? You just blew someone's toilet! Are you seriously telling me about being an adult? When all you do is act like an ass?" I shouted back.

"Don't mix up that stupid sh*t with this. This is serious...I'm just trying to protect you, but apparently you know it all, right?" I crossed my arms and didn't say anything else. He shook his head and disappointment was clear on his features. "I'm done talking to you."

With that, he left. I really wanted to go to him and apologize for what I said but I was so p*ssed. They need to understand that I can take care of myself. They have to let me make my own decisions and if I screw up I'll deal with it and keep going. That's what growing up is all about.

I ran upstairs and threw my door with so much force I'm surprise it didn't come out of its hinges. Tears started to blur my vision. I got in my bed and tried to hide away from all this with my covers. A single tear escaped but I did not move. Every single question Brody asked me came all shooting at the same time. I tried to block them but he was right, I know nothing about Drake. Not even when we were kids. For God's sake, I don't even know what the J stands for!