C h a p t e r - O n e

A l l   R i g h t s   R e s e r v e d.

                                      T h a t   N e r d   I s   M i n e

                                Copyright © 2013 by Alice Joseph

                            C h a p t e r   O n e   –  N e w   H o m e.

My new home. 

It’s hard to leave your old life behind. Your home. Friends. School. You make a house in to a home only to leave it behind and start new. I didn’t want to though. I didn’t want to leave the house I grew up in. The place all my memories resided. The place where happiness and tears were shed. The place of my deceased father. My save haven.

I never expected to move away from my old home. It was the only place I ever hid myself in. Now I have to make a new nest. Hide myself again. Make new friends again. Get in a new school again.

If only life hadn’t betrayed us. If only life hadn’t betrayed my dad. 

I looked out the window as we stopped in front of the large house. The white and red paint made it look very pretty. It looked clean and the garden was beautiful. The front porch had a roundabout with a fountain in the middle. It was perfect. And rich.

My old home was not big as this one but it was big. After dad died it became too painful living there yet I wanted to stay there. I couldn’t bear leaving the only part of my dad but I had too. For mothers sake.

Dad… 

It was just like yesterday that my dad came from work and told me about his day. He would joke about stuff making me and mum laugh. Now all the laughter is gone.

The silence in the house of his laughter and jokes were like a slap. I was my father’s little girl. He would tease me about boyfriends. He knew mum didn’t allow me to date because of her Christian views so he teased mum about me having a boyfriend.

He was the kind of person who never stopped smiling. A cheerful person. Even on the verge of death he held my hand smiling and told me to enjoy life. That had been the day I last cried. My dad was the best guy in the whole world. He deserved much more but he didn’t get his miracle. 

It’s been three years since his death. Time might have past but the wounds were still raw. We missed him. I miss him every single day.

“You ready for this?” 

I blinked back the tears and smiled at my mum. “Yeah” I said clearing my throat. My mother deserved the happiness she was getting. I wasn’t about to drown her in my misery.

My mother at thirty-seven was still as beautiful as ever. Her brunette hair was like mine except she had a short cut. Her beautiful green eyes were something I did not inherit. No wonder my dad loved her so much. She was the only women I looked up to. My mother is my ideal and I hoped to be like her someday. 

She placed her warm hand on mine. “You should know something Brooke…” She took a deep breath and smiled. “No matter how many guys come in to my life, you will always be my first love, okay? There’s not a guy in the world I’ll love more than you and you’re the center of my little world. You’ve always been my little doll.”

I heart swelled with love. This was the reason I loved and worshipped my mother so much. She had always put me first in everything and my dad was the same. She had no idea how much I put her first. She deserved happiness after what she’s been through.