First Down for the Girls~ Four

A/N:  Here's a picture of Evan.  Doesn't he look just so sweet??? >:)

        Drops of sweat form on my forehead as the doctor keeps his finger pointed at me.  Most of the football jocks are focused in my direction as well—a situation most girls would kill to be in, but considering I was a dude, the odds were not in my favor.  The doctor walks down the stairs of the infirmary, and pushes his way through the crowd of bulky boys, stopping in front of my face. 

     "You."  The stress lingers on his voice.  "You were the only one in the hallway when the alarm went off.  You must've pulled the alarm."

     Gosh, it's just an alarm.  It's not like I robbed a bank or anything.

     I was quiet for a moment, gathering my thoughts, to come up with some sort of reasonable excuse.  I stare back at him with some sort of confidence, and puff out my chest a bit.  "I was not.  I went to go take a leak, and before I could finish, the alarm went off." 

     Evan jumps in at that point.  "Yeah, he told us so."

     The doctor shakes his head, and rubs the bridge of his nose.  "And you didn't see anyone?"

     I shook my head.

     "Fine," he says.  "We can just go back inside and finish your physical then."

     "You already did my physical."  I lie, and watch his frown lines deepen.

     "I did?"

     "Yeah, I was one of the first finished, remember?"  I hear Tristan snort behind me and I cringe.  "I was coming back because I l thought I left my... my jock strap, in your office."

      I praying that will be a good enough excuse to get off his radar.  "Can't tell you how many times I've found those things lying around in my office."

     I let out the breath I was holding as the doctor starts to walk away and the crowd surrounding the infirmary begins to disperse.  Tristan comes up beside me.  "Game over."

     I stiffen up.  "What are you talking about?"

     "These two," He points to Evan and Ben, who are fortunately some distance away at this point, "are quite gullible.  But come on, I see right through your little rouse."

     My eyes widen as the horror starts to set in.  My stubble didn't wash off, did it?  Is the wig a little twisted?  Are my curves showing?

     "How did you—" I start, but he holds up his hand.

     "You don't take me for that stupid, do you?"  I just about die.  I barely dodged a bullet in the infirmary, but somehow I had still gotten a shot to the head.  I knew this was a crazy idea.  Who was I to think I could come in here and fool someone like Tristan?  It wasn't like he was stupid.  In fact, he had higher grades than I did.  And yet somehow I let the idiocy of Raine taint my rationality.

     But then he adds, "I know you were right behind Matthew in the infirmary line.  You hadn't already taken your physicals.  So, why'd you lie?"

     A big weight lifts off my shoulders the moment I realize the real reason of his suspicion.  "Um, well, I was... embarrassed."

     That was partially true.

     "Embarrassed about what?" He asked.

     "I have..."  Polio?  Gonorrhea?  "Scars.  I  was left in the house during a fire as a baby and was burned pretty bad.  Ever since, I don't like people to see me.  Especially not doctors."