Chapter 12: Calming of a Storm

Aralia

I couldn't sleep, there was no time to sleep. I sat up from my cot seeing that Shade was absent. I got up and I let my feet walk me in the direction of the entrance.

Shade stood at the edge of the cliff with his arms crossed. I stopped a couple of meters away and said, "So you can't sleep either?"

He shrugged, "It's hard to sleep when the beast inside never does."

I nodded though he couldn't see me and took a step closer. He whipped around and his eyes flared an inhuman red, "Get out of here, I don't want you here!"

His hands glowed and he looked down at them. Shade shuddered and the glowing stopped. He brought a hand up to his face and he ran his hand through his hair and pushed his hood back.

"I'm sorry Aralia," he began.

"It's okay Shade, I know it's difficult. I'll leave you alone if that's what you want." I said. I didn't really want to leave him be, but the air was too tense and I needed nothing more then to just be alone right now.

I turn away after he didn't say anything, but before I entered the tunnels I heard him whisper, "I don't want you to leave me alone."

I stopped and looked at him, without looking in his cursed eyes I could tell he was afraid. I held my hand out to him and walked towards him. He took it and held it to the side of his face, "I'm scared, I don't care what I will become or of death, I'm scared of leaving you here in this world, to this war."

I tried to reassure him, "Shade, you aren't going anywhere after we win this we will be fine together."

He shook his head and dropped my hand, "I know you don't really believe that, love, I can feel it inside of me. It's getting hard to control," he stopped and took in a deep breath, "If-if this thing takes hold of me I want you to do it."

I tried to grab his hand but he pulled away, "I want you, Aralia, to put me down. Will you promise me that, love?"

I shut my eyes and nod, "Yes, I promise."

He lifted up my chin and lowers his lips I mine, they are soft and so comforting. His embrace was my home. He was everything that I have ever needed. We broke the kiss and he dropped his hand turning away to look into the distance again.

I backed up and turned around to walk inside again, "Sweets," I stopped and looked back seeing a smile on his face, "I love you."

I smiled, "And I love you Shade."

***

Back in the haven I walked to a section of the haven I had rarely gone to. I was looking for the elf I had just met a little while ago. He and his men were in this section because it was never used by any of my people.

I saw several of his warriors along the wall working on their weapons or talking. Each one stopped what they were doing and bowed their heads in respect. I bowed back out of respect.

"Ah, Aralia, I was wondering when I would have the pleasure of your company," I turned around and the sleek and handsome elf was standing right there holding out his hand as he took a bow.

I gave him my hand and he placed it to his lips, "I have not the pleasure to know your name yet."

He lifted up his head and stood upright, "I was proud enough to call myself Makilia's advisor, I was even more proud to call him my king, but it is my name you seek isn't it? My name is Xavier, I took up your fathers role after he was taken."

He let go of my hand and gestured back the way I came, "Come, let's speak somewhere private."

***

I stopped before we even neared the entrance of the place we were going to speak. I knew where he was taking me, it was just sacred to me and I didn't want to tante it. He looked at me with a concerned look on his face, "Is everything alright?"

I nodded and tried to brush it off, "Yeah it's fine, it's just shouldn't we go somewhere else to talk, I don't want to be to far from my people."

He took my hand and pulled me along, "I know why you don't want to go there, Aralia, but don't fear the good memories, take comfort and strength in them. I will show you how."

I let him lead me to the small crevice on the wall and I feel the steam from the water before we were even in the room. Once entered the memories rushed back and caused the blood to rush to my face.

Xavier let my hand go and he sat down at the edge of the calming pool. I hesitated then sat beside him resting one of my hands in the warm water.

He held out his hand to me and I raised an eyebrow, "You're a very touchy person aren't you?"

He chuckled, "I find I get a greater connection when I am closer with others, but I am not asking for your hand, I am asking for your necklace."

I touch the pendant with his hand and look at him suspiciously, "Why do you want it?"

"I want to teach you how to ground yourself and to control the darkness, I helped Makilia's first wife ground her darkness and clear her mind."

I slowly loosened the grip on my necklace and lifted  it over my head handing it too him. He smiled, "Good, now how do you feel?"

I didn't hesitate, "Uneasy."

"As one would expect."

I shook my head feeling a bit aggravated, "Why do we need to do this, I feel the same."

He smiled, "Place yourself into the pool and concentrate on how the water feels on your skin, remember those memories you hold so close."

I took a breath in and sunk myself into the water with my clothes on feeling the warm liquid engulf my body. I laid on my back and floated feeling comforted by the water and by the visions floating in my mind.

"This is your sacred place, Aralia. Every time you think of it your mind will ease and your body will relax. You will not be able to feel that blanket of madness."

I felt his hand on mine and I squeezed it opening my eyes to look at him. Xavier smiled and I couldn't help but smile back, but his next words shocked me, "I know you are with child, and that child needs a proper father."

I take my hand from his and sit up in the water looking at him, "Shade is the father, he will be a perfect father to the child."

I lift myself out of the water leaving my feet still submerged however. "Do you really believe that," Xavier asked me.

I knew that Shade would be an amazing dad, but the chances are he would never get a chance to even see our child. "I see in your face, you know he will not last the battle. Your child needs a father, another caregiver, let me fulfill my dept to your father and let me be that someone the child can look up to."

I stand up dripping wet and back away from him, "I don't even know you, how do I know you even knew my elven father?"

"I cannot make you trust me or anything that you see, but I can give you my memories and you can decide from there is you believe me." He held out his hand to me and I took it slowly being unsure if this was right.

He placed it to the side of his face and said, "After you have seen everything, please consider my offer, I only want the best for you and your baby."

My eyes then roll back and he grasps me close as I begin to fall into his past.