Chapter 9: Incoming Storm

Shade

I followed behind Aralia with confidence in my stride. I couldn't help it, I was a man and any man no matter the situation would be walking with this posture after what he and Aralia had done.

Despite the concern that was drawn on Aralia's face she looked back at me and chuckled. Blush was still in her cheeks and I wished for it to never leave her face.

Approaching the open hall more and more people seemed to be flooding in from the entrance way, some covered in blood and others carried on stretchers. Whatever was going on it was far from good.

We turned quickly to the narrow section that I had always known as Grea's chambers. I flinched inwardly remembering her blood that had coated my blade at a point.

Entering the room Zythian, Milia and a middle aged peddler woman who sat weeping all looked up at us to see who was entering.

Aralia

My cheeks were still warm, but entering the room drained all colour and heat from them. Milia who I had only met a handful of times stood over a crying woman that looked as though she was on the verge of a mental break down.

I looked to Zythian for he was the only person in the room who I cared to hear from at the moment as to what was going on. He stood over looking the maps with fear in his eyes. He looked back down at them and shook his head.

Shade stood behind me and Ela stood beside me, Ela seemed very bouncy as usual and was hoping from one foot to the other I looked over at her with kind eyes and said, "Ela can you do me a favour? Look after Aquaria, it's about time she had something to eat alright?"

She nods her head rapidly as she goes to leave the room when Shade stops her, "Mind feeding my dragon too sweets? Just be careful that he doesn't eat you."

Her eyes go wide, but she nods and runs off. I scoff, but can't help but smile a little.

"What are you smiling at princess?" Milia says darkly.

My face and body are ridged, "Hold your tongue before I see it removed."

She takes a step around the table until Zythian stopped her by lifting up his hand, "If we start fighting amongst ourselves there won't be anyone to face this army that's on our door step. So cease this hormonal bickering and get your shit together."

Milia takes a step back and I walk towards Zythian with my hand resting in my blade just for good measure though. Milia wasn't someone I cared for, ruthless as she was I didn't think to see her fit enough as commander of the army's, but maybe a strong fist was what they needed.

"What do you mean there's an army? Where did this information come from?" I asked.

"If you were here, princess, and not off with your broken toy you would have heard what this woman had to tell us about your kingdom," Milia venomously replied before Zythian could say anything.

I paid no attention to her, instead I turned my attention to the sobbing woman. I walked to her side and placed my hand on hers, "Can you tell me what happened?"

The woman in took a deep breath as if she was trying to calm herself then said, "A-A storm was coming, big dark clouds shrouding the small town into an early night. And army of--of these bird creatures and dark hell made things came with the darkness and wiped us out. I fled, they seemed to let me go, for they could have killed me with the rest." She gripped the table and her body shook. I sent some soothing energy into her before she started again.

"Villages burned, men women and children alike murdered and burned. I tried to warn people but they didn't believe me and it was too late. Then I came to you. You are the new ruler people speak of, the Dragon Queen..." She started to sob again and look down at her shaking had as if they were coated in blood.

I stepped away from her and looked at Zythian, "How far away is the army?"

"The scouts saw they will be here in a fortnight. But," he paused looking down again."

"But what?" I pressed stepping towards him.

"But we don't have the numbers to oppose them, we are out numbered and the only chance for survival is to flee."

I was silent for a few minutes and I shut my eyes feeling the stone at my chest starting to heat up, "There is no place for my people to go, no refuge they can seek elsewhere. What other choice done we have but fight?"

"None," Milia said.

I nod and look at her, "Then ready every man and woman, villager or not who wishes to fight, with a sword. Start training them as soon as possible. With more people piling in I'm sure they know what's coming. Ready the riders and fashion more armour, line up the dragons and see if we have any new riders. We need as many able people as we can, the children and any others who cannot fight, send them deeper into the caves and make barricades so if those things get passed us they can't get in. Got that?"

Milia just nods for once and moves around the table jogging out of the room. I look at Zythian again say to him, "Don't tell anyone the odds of us living, we don't need a panic on our hands."

He bows his head, "As you wish Aralia."

I walk towards the woman again, she seemed more calm now and so I gently placed my hands on either side of her face making her look at me. Looking into her eyes there was fear and unbelievable pain, but there was also a shred of hope. "Thank you for your bravery, your journey here wasn't easy and has cost you greatly."

A small smile started at her lips, "You really are as great as some say, you are just like your mother used to be when she was alive."

I smiled sadly and gave the woman a kiss on her forehead, "Rest, you have done enough."

I stood back and the woman stood up with me no longer shaking. I looked at Shade and he took that as his que and lead the woman by her arm out the door.

I ran my hand along the maps on the table breathing calmly and shutting my eyes. I had to address my people, I just hoped I had the right words to say.