Page 5

"Well, yes, but..." I wouldn't let him finish his explanation.

"No, no, no, no..." I repeated over and over, shaking my head and flexing my fingers. This was my worst nightmare. I was always a well behaved little schizophrenic, talking to my imaginary friends and the voices in my head. I never hurt anyone or myself, even off the meds that we could no longer afford. How could this be happening?

"Now, Kari, you will be alright as long as you don't cause any trouble." The old English turtle informed me gently.

"Oh, so if I don't swallow your stupid sugar pills you're lobotomize me? Right? That's how it works here?" Now I was yelling and I was furious and terrified. I was flying off my hinges.

Vladimir glance at the old English turtle for approval before grabbing a syringe and taking the two steps it took to get o me. I turned my head sharply away as he jammed the needle into my arm. I felt my consciousness waver as he injected the medication. I could feel it spread through my arm...it was cold.

"Take her to bed. We'll continue later." I heard the old English turtle say in a displeased voice as he slammed his clip board down and I passed out.

Xx

Vladimir unfastened the straps holding Kari down. He took his sweet time, knowing she wouldn't be waking up anytime soon. His eyes kept wandering mindlessly to her face. When she was asleep she looked almost normal, but he couldn't forget her oddities. Seeing how she was when she had her head on straight he figured that she enjoyed her hallucinations. She was so...unstable, but seemingly happy about it.

When Dr. Radcliff had told her that he thought she was lovely he hadn't been entirely incorrect. Her hair nearly the color of snow fell silkily against her shoulders and regardless of the conditions of the cellar, was soft as a kitten's fur. Her eyes were the clear color of the sky in the morning and looked upon everything as if it were something to be discovered. Nothing to her was ever as it seemed. Vladimir was most sure of that.

However, she infuriated him. She couldn't follow simple directions and clearly wasn't fit for society. She had spoken to her friend as if being locked in a cell was nothing new. She acted like all this was normal. The way she stared at him was eerie. It was as if she, just by looking at him once, new all about him. She knew of his past and his personality, but that was impossible, as most other things that patience perceived here. Her curiosity was a danger to everyone.

Vladimir lifted her from the chair and she immediately curled up, nuzzling her head into his chest. He held his breath, fearing that the accelerated beating of his heart would wake her. How could she have felt it? He let out the breath and looked away from her peaceful face. The insanity was finally beginning to rub off on him. This mental patient was no different than any other. And he was going to keep telling himself that.

Xx

I awoke to the sound of bars slamming open. They weren't mine.