Into the Other World

EXCITING NEWS!

I'm making this Book 1 of a series. Check out the cover of the second book! The Series is "Fabricated" and the books will be:

Made In Germany

Manufactured

Artificial

Synthetic

Porcelain Perfection (Maybe)

Orchid thought about her life, while Bill and Tom explored her room. She waited patiently for her mother to leave for work. It had been only three days since she opened the dusty old trunk, but it felt like opening the door to the Other World would take an eternity.

There was a knock on her door, the boys hid quickly, "Orchid, I'm off to work, don't forget to do your independent studies, alright?"

Orchid nodded compliantly. After her mother left, leaving the sound of a slamming door to echo through the large house she turned to the boys. She receited the chant three more times, giving them more personality. "You guys can go explore the house if you'd like." She opened the door for the tiny people.

After Orchid spoke her chant, Bill suddenly felt a warming sensation throughout his body. As if he had blood. Bill nodded, "Come on Tomi, let's go." He dragged Tom out the door by the hand.

"Did you feel any different when she said that last chant, or was it just me?" Asked Tom to Bill.

"I felt...warm." He reminiced, touching his alabaster arms.

Tom nodded. "Same here, it's like we're becoming more real."

Bill's eyes widened, "What if we are?"

_______________

Orchid sifted through her drawer of keys. It had begun to snow outside. "December..." She thought aloud. When she found only brand new, and shiny keys, she had a feeling none of them would work to get through the door to the other world. When she stood up, an old-fashioned iron key that was laying on her dresser caught her eye.

She picked it up, holding the heavy key in her hands she remembered the strange feeling she got when she first found it nearly a week ago. Like it had been calling her. She put it her pocket. She had been told by the old woman that the door would appear to her in a dream. So, she laid on her bed for an afternoon nap.

"Orchid..." Called a voice familiar to her.

"Gran?" She responded, her scream cracking with joy.

"Through here, Kitten, through here..."

Orchid's bare feet squished in the soft, green ground. The moisture cooled the soft skin on the bottoms, the perpetual twilight made the sky a napalm orange. The dark evergreen trees loomed beautifully overhead. Garlands of different types were strewn about the branches, caught on the needles like ghosts caught in a tide.

"Quick! This way..." Chirped the windchime voice of the phantom Grandmother. Orchid's feet moved quicker, her white cotton gown and powder blue peignoir flowed in the wind the blue ribbon that kept her peignoir tied unfurled from its pretty bowtie.

Orchid pressed on for what seemed like hours. Finally she reached an old oak door set between two trees. As she examined it, she pushed the iron key that hung around her neck from a sheer ribbon through the lock.

The door opened with loud squeals of age, and Orchid stepped through.

_________________________________