Dreamer's Delight

Dreamer’s Delight

Orchid stood in field of barley, clover and a light scent of Baby’s Breath held thick in the air. Nearly six meters in front of her stood her precious dolls, only without carved joints, false hair and glass eyes. "Orchid, over here." They called, their sweet, smooth voices echoing in the clearing surrounded by fir trees and evergreens. "Tomi!" She returned in an absolutely delighted voice. Through the tall grasses she walked, meeting them in the middle. The stood several feet taller than her, so they crouched on their knees. "Hello Orchid." Bill spoke softly, "It’s nice to finally speak with you." He smiled genuinely, revealing perfect teeth.

"H-hi." Orchid stuttered.

"Don’t be afraid." Tomi spoke gently, "We’re your protectors, and we wouldn’t do anything to hurt you." There was a small outline of white light coming from their fair skin, and blood chocolate eyes stared lovingly at their treasure. As they walked through field after field they ended up in an amphitheater, "Wait here Orchid, we’ll be right back." Bill looked to Tom as they shared the same thought. They scampered off behind the walls leading to the stage. Bill and Tom walked out onto the cold cement while Orchid sat calmly in the soft, green grass. They sang her song after favorite song for what seemed like hours on end.

As the morning sun deteriorated into dusk, the boys finally took a bow, "Thank you, thank you." Tom said gingerly. Orchid raced up the steps, her white Mary-Jane’s tap, tap, tapping on the grey stone-like floor.

"Can you play me another?" She asked sweetly, knowing that they would.

"No, Orchid. We can't. The sun's going down, you have to leave soon." Orchid's hopeful eyes died, she shuffled her feet.

"Oh."

"But don't worry Orchid, you can always come back tomorrow." Bill gave a sweet smile with full, soft lips. "Don't forget to read to us, okay?"

Orchid nodded, "Of course not. I'll never forget." She gave one last squeeze to each porcelain boy. "Goodbye." She whispered solemnly, intent on getting to bed early the next night so she could spend more time there.

_______________________________

Orchid woke up with a doll in each arm, "Good morning Bill, good morning Tom." Each doll batted their eyes, "Do you want to come to dance classes with me today?" Their heads fell into a nod. "Good." She beamed.

As Orchid continued her morning routine like usual, she couldn't help but feel a little excited as she spoke to Bill, "Bill, I just can't wait for the recital!" She exclaimed, "I can't even think right!" She squealed with giggles and chirps.

Just then Bill's index finger curled, relaxed, and curled again. Motioning for her to move forward his lips parted, a small gape opened between them.

Orchid leaned in closer, unsure of what was about to happen, that's when she heard the faintest whisper of a voice like tiny bells.

"You will be the best dancer to ever live." Bill's eyes closed and a smile spread across his perfectly pink painted lips.

Orchid grasped his hand between her middle and index finger, "And you will be the greatest friend ever." Bill's eyes opened, glossier than usual, teeming with emotion. Orchid grabbed Bill and Tom, hopped into her mother's Audi A4 Sedan. She fastened her seatbelt, sure to tie down her dolls with her to the carseat. "This is going to be so much fun." She whispered.

"I want to see you dance." Tom said in the similar bell-tone that Bill had spoken in. Orchid smiled and patted his bandana covered head. The cornrows felt smooth under her hand.