Chapter 6 .

I'm so sorry for the long wait , especially when you all commented and voted . Thank you so much .

/.-./.-./.-./.-./

"What happened ?" Jake said , glancing over at me from the drivers seat .

I scanned the road for any sign of the psycho . "I just got scared . It's really dark out , yunno ?" I lied .

I got good at lying because of my parents dying and having to say that I was 'okay' .

"You're lying ." Jake replied .

Shit . Maybe I wasn't that good at lying , after all .

"Okay , okay . This man was following me . " Another lie flew from my mouth . Well , it was sorta true .

"What the hell were you doing up in the mountain anyways ?" He asked .

"Exploring ."

"Exploring what ?!"

"Why do you care ?" I said , getting frustrated . "You're NOT my boyfriend !"

"Well maybe I CARE ." He shot back .

"WELL STOP CARING ."

"WHY ?"

Silence ate at us both .

"Let me out ." I said flatly .

"What - No !"

"I said to stop the car , Jake ."

Slowly the car pulled to a stop .

"Ell , I'm . . I'm really sorry . Please . . Stay at my house - Just for tonight . Then you'll never be bothered by me again . . If you want ." He said the last part with a bit of hope and I couldn't help but secretly smile out the window.

I gazed out at the dark street lined with trees . No people , and no houses nearby .

I shuddered at the thought of Jeff gazing back at me from in between the branches .

"Fine ."

"Fine ?" Relief in his voice .

"Yeah . ." I sighed . "But no funny business ."

-.-.-.-.-

We pulled into the driveway , and I silently got out , slamming the door behind me .

Maybe I was overreacting just a little . But he has known me for literally a few hours - What right does he have to boss me around like that !?

As I entered the house , the smell of cinnamon filled my nostrils , making me feel safe and warm . It was a change from the cold , emptiness , and danger I felt at home .

Fluorescent light enhanced the warmness , as well as the fall colors in the house .

I wiggled my toes in the fur carpet when I took off my shoes and entered the living room .

My cheeks hurt from smiling up at the small chandelier hanging above the gleaming wooden coffee table .

"Wow Jake , your house is . . Is magnificent ! The kind you see in -"

His lips crashed on mine as we plopped onto the white couch . His cold hand slid up my shirt to caress my side , causing goose bumps and shivers to run through my body .

He broke our kiss and breathed out hotly . "I'm sorry ."

Instead of replying I pulled him back down to me , tingles radiating through me . What was I doing ?

"J-Jake . This is a little bit too much for -"

"You're right " He interrupted , " I dunno what I was thinking - I'm sorry , El ."