Contact (6.3)

O'Neill hurried home from work, his steps lightening as he neared the door.

Tonight he was going to complete the second step of Contact. He'd filled in the first part a week ago but caution had kept him from moving on. Apart from a slight feeling of self-consciousness (he'd always considered these sorts of sites were for losers), confidentiality was all important. Despite his private joke about one night stands, as President of one of the world's top companies he couldn't afford to be caught up in anything tacky.

He had done some research on the company, including checking to see if his Facebook account was suddenly spouting dating ads—or at least—any more than usual, but although Contact was very new, so far everything seemed to check out. Contact was what it said it was—an online dating site and a very successful one at that.

O'Neill micro-waved his dinner and took it upstairs. Eagerly, he sat down in front of the computer and opened up his Contact account. Everything appeared as he had left it, his answers still in "draft" form. He pressed "Save" and waited for the next screen to load.

"Step Two - Second Contact

Congratulations! Now we have your core personality established, we can move on to discover your perfect match. What are you looking for in a partner? What are your three top "must haves?" And perhaps even more importantly, those three "must NOT haves?"

Just answer the following questions as honestly as you can."

Aah. Here was the meaty part, the remaining 294 questions to complete his personality profile and flesh out his perfect partner.

Two hours later, he looked up to discover that he had completed the questionnaire and that his dinner had gone cold.

He stretched, started to get up, then sat down again. He was so close to finishing. He'd just check what the next step involved and then he'd go downstairs and heat up another meal. He pressed "Save," and waited impatiently. A minute later, the screen refreshed and he read,

"Step Three - Third Contact

Yes, the step you have been waiting for. Time to meet your new partner. Click on the link below to see her picture and email details. E-Contact wishes you both the best of fortune in your new relationship. The rest is up to you!"

O'Neill couldn't wait. He clicked on the link.

A dark haired beauty appeared on his screen. She had perfect creamy skin, deep brown eyes, full lips and—apparently—large breasts.

He knew he should really be spending his time on finalising the India project, but he hesitated. What if she was waiting for his email? A beauty like that wouldn't hang around waiting for ever. Surely it wouldn't hurt to spend a few more minutes making that first contact and getting acquainted?

~~~

Rodriguez paused in the doorway to the canteen, surprised by the quiet. Everyone in the room appeared to be logged into their phones or tablets. Eyes were fixed on screens. Occasionally someone would turn to their neighbour to show them something or ask a question but mostly everyone sat in silence, concentrating. A quick glance at the nearest screens showed a familiar site—he would have bet a week's pay that everyone, or nearly everyone, was accessing their Contact account.

Unaccountably, the hair prickled on the back of Rodriguez's neck. There was something uncanny about all those people doing the same thing. It was like they were fixated. He shrugged off the feeling. It was just a fad, like My Space had been years ago, or the latest computer game. As long as Contact didn't interfere with their work, employees were free to use it as much as they liked.

Perhaps he should go online and have a look himself, see what all the fuss was about. He'd have to use a false name of course, he couldn't possibly risk his personal information getting out there, but he could have a trial run. In fact, he'd buy a brand new tablet, specifically to use for Contact. Not that he was paranoid, but in his position, he couldn't take security precautions seriously enough. He'd pick up a tablet on his way home tonight.

Later that evening, alone in his study, Rodriguez set up his new tablet and easily found the Contact site.

"E-Contact - where people connect.

World's Best online dating service. Guaranteed. Contact for FREE until 14th February. Don't miss out! Find out more...

"E-Contact. The better the points of contact, the better the match. Just follow our easy three-step process. These multiple choice questions will guarantee to match you with your perfect partner."

His lip curled. Were people really fools enough to get taken in by that? As if any computer program could find you the perfect partner—as if a "perfect partner" even existed!

Still, he supposed as long as he had gone to the trouble of getting the tablet, he might as well follow through and answer the questions. See what sort of woman they tried to fob off on him.

Two hours later he sat frozen, staring at the tablet, an ugly red flush staining the back of his neck, flooding his cheeks.

A face like an angel stared back at him, golden blond hair, sculptured cheekbones and sapphire-blue eyes that held a wealth of knowledge in their depths. The curved lips smiled.

How dare they! Quivering with outrage, Rodriguez threw the tablet as hard as he could against the wall. Then he went over, picked up the pieces and took them outside into the yard. Wielding a hammer, he smashed every last piece into smithereens.

Tendrils of fear wove around his heart. How had they known?

By the next morning, Rodriguez had regained his composure. Contact—or the people behind it—had just made an almighty mistake. If they thought to intimidate him, or even set him up for blackmail, they had chosen the wrong man to target. He hadn't got to be the head of the most important clandestine military project in the world without having access to the best investigators, both physical and cyber.

He made a few phone calls and sat back, satisfied. He smiled. Contact wouldn't know what had hit them.