IV.

Chapter IV. School's in Session

Every Saint has a past, and every Sinner had a future

-Oscar Wilde

Lauryn's POV

"You know Granny tried to kill me the other night when I can in from the club. She started talking in her Jamaican proverbs and making me feel like a child" I joked mocking my Granny's accent with Becca as we cleaned the kitchen for Granny since she was in the den watching Let's Make a Deal.

"Elle, you know how she get some times. Granny just trying to watch out for you 'little one'. Anyways I met one of your friends" Becca said playfully pushing at my shoulder as we washed the dishes together while dance to some reggae playing off of the speakers. Becca was the only family that I had other than Granny, she was a professional dancer so work kept her from home a lot so now that she was having a small break in her schedule she was choosing to spend that time with us. It was funny cause I was sort of raised with Becca expect for the fact that she was admitted into a fine art school early on since she was so gifted so I rarely actually saw her other than Holidays and breaks. She was my big sister even though she was more childish than me.

"Who....you know my circle small" I joked whinding real slow to the beat making her laugh.

"Right...It was Sly he was all in my face at the gym trying to press me for info about yo' ass" she joked taking some of the fun out of today. Was he really that noisy? What had I ever done to make him feel like I needed to be studied?

"He is not my friend. He just trying to keep tabs on Audi with her fast ass." I said rolling my eyes. I could already tell that I wasn't going to like the direction of this conversation. "Really, Becca he only speaking cause he saw me at the club. He not even interested in me" I said more to myself then her.

"If you say so. He seemed to want to be all up in your mix from the way he was talking to me but if you want I will chill on all that. So what's up with this school and stuff. Give me the tee" she said pushing me over to the kitchen table so we could really chop up what she missed.

"Well I start classes like next week which is really exciting. My advisor gave me a list of the makeup items and other stuff they recommend for someone taking my path. And you know the same drama with Milly and Mya's Mama. And of course Audi got that new apartment so that's about it" I sighed watching my cousin's thoughtful expression.

"You need money for school, I got you on that. I know Granny's bills starting to add up even with the little bit of Medicare she get. And Milly like all that drama that why he was entertainer her trifling ass to begin with and Audi don't need no apartment. She fast as hell. What the fuck she need an apartment for, so she can be running the streets" Becca scoffed. Becca always kept it real, she didn't care if what she said was mean because she always wanted people to know where she stood on every topic. I loved that about my cousin, while she didn't hate Audi she thought that I could do better in the friend department because she was a firm believer of if you the smartest nigga among your friends you needed new friends. I think the thing about Audi that rubbed her the wrong way was the fact that Audi didn't want to do anything with her life, she just wanted to be pretty and taken care of which, to Becca, was weak. Becca and Granny taught me you had to earn your space in this world and nothing was free. But, I think deep down that Audi did have dreams, she just wasn't ready to reveal them.

"Thank you, Becca. I got financial aid so school I think is good right now. And Granny's bill aren't that bad so don't be stressin' about that you know I always call when shit get tight. And stop dogging Audi you know she just spoiled. But speaking of her apartment she having a house warming party in a few days. She swear it's going to be hella bottles on deck, smoke, food. And you know she know a lot of fine boys. You up for it, rude gyal?" I asked getting excited, Becca and I always had fun together no matter what because she never was thinking about dudes, she was more the type to let them come to her so she didn't do the most when we went out.