Chapter Eighteen

Today’s our last day in Dublin. You know where I am if you need me.

-Niall

PS. Since we’re leaving tomorrow and I don’t know if we’ll encounter a washing machine again, I suggest doing laundry.

I traced my fingers over Niall’s writing before placing the note into my pocket. I dumped the full contents of my backpack out. Niall had a good point; I was starting to run low on clean clothes. I figured I might as well wash his too so I grabbed his backpack from where it lay, slumped over in the corner. I lay it on the floor and pulled out his crumpled clothes.

When I finally tugged the last t-shirt free, something else fell out with it. It was a CD case, with a blank CD sitting inside. Or at least it looked blank.

I curiously grabbed Matt’s laptop that we’d been using for the past week and popped the CD into the drive. Suddenly a slow, rhythmic song began play, the high-pitched notes filling the room. I knew I’d heard the song before, but for some reason I couldn’t quite place it.

I listened for a few more seconds before it dawned on me. It was the song Niall and I had slow danced to.

I listened to it until it finished, and when it ended no other songs followed. I placed the CD back in Niall’s backpack, in bewilderment. Why in the world did Niall have a CD with just one song on it? Was it a coincidence that it was the song we had just happened to dance to, or was it that song for a reason?

I put our clothes in the washer and went back to the computer to inbox Sophie. Just as I was about to type an email to her, I noticed she was online.

Brooke: SOPHIE!!! I miss you!

Sophie: AHHHHHH! I miss you too Brooke!

Brooke: How’s LA?

Sophie: Literally ah-mazing! Jesse (the sexy boy in the pic I sent you) is so cute.

Brooke: Aw, are you guys together?

Sophie: Yeah, he asked me out and I almost died! LOL, but seriously he’s like the perfect boyfriend. Speaking of perfect boyfriends how is your little Irish hottie?

Brooke: He’s not my boyfriend, and he’s okay I guess.

Sophie: What do you mean by ‘I guess’?

Brooke: Well, we kinda ran into Chloe at the airport yesterday.

Sophie: YIKES. Do you need me to come and beat ‘er up?

Brooke: Haha. Very funny. You could totally take her though, she’s all skin and bones... no muscle.

Sophie: Well if she does anything else let me know and I’ll be there in an instant;). I GOT YOUR BACK GURRRLLL. So what went down? Cat fight?

Brooke: Kinda. I basically said that Niall was perfect and maybe insinuated that I had a crush on him, but I don’t think he picked up on it.

Sophie: So you really like him?

Brooke: Yeah, I do. He’s adorable.

Sophie: TELL HIM.

Brooke: WHAAT? Tell him? Are you insane?

Sophie: That’s what happened with me and Jesse. I just admitted that I liked him and it turned out he liked me back.

Brooke: But I’m not you Soph, I’m too scared he’ll laugh in my face or something.

Sophie: Then make a list. You like lists. One side would be things that indicate he doesn’t like you (flirting with other girls, etc.) and the other side would be things showing he does like (unnecessary compliments, and stuff like that). Aw, shit, Broooooke, I have to go now. Love you and miss you babe. Oh and one last thing: GO AND GET UR MAN;) hehe

Brooke: Love you too, Sophhhh.

Sophie logged out, leaving me to stare at her advice. Make a list, okay; I could do at least that much. I flipped over the paper Ni had made the contract on and drew a crooked line down the middle of the page.

“Doesn’t like me,” I murmured, my tongue poking out as I scribbled the title on the top of the left column. “Does like me,” I wrote on the right side.

When I was done the list looked like so:

Doesn’t like me

- Talked to pretty, black-haired girl at the park

- Said slow dancing was ‘weird’

Does like me

- Bought me a dress

- Gave me two cute nicknames

- Calls me pretty/gorgeous

- Has a CD with the song we danced to on it

- Told me I was the amazing one

- Is taking me on an adventure

- Was willing to give up something he does every weekend to watch movies with me

- Said he wished I held his hand longer the other day

- Told me I make him nervous

- Looked upset when that guy was flirting with me outside of the club and watched me when I first met Matt

- Told me he would protect me so I didn’t have to be scared

- Said I deserve someone who will treat me like the only girl in the universe

Looking at the list, even I had to admit that it seemed like he liked me. But instead of feeling happy I crumpled the paper up and tossed it into the trash. Becoming more than friends would just make things more complicated—at least for right now. We had the whole summer to fall in love... Right?

And if we did fall in love... Well, I would not be complaining one bit.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay, okay. Don’t hate me. I know this chapter was a bit slower than the previous ones but it was required. 

<3<3<3<3snugglinghazza.