Chapter 9

The car ride was long and boring. Linda and her parents shared a couple of laughs and many stories but long car trips definitely did not bring out the best in people. They had to stop the car every two hours so someone could go to the bathroom or get food and the ride took a lot longer than anticipated.

Finally, Linda reached Boston's city line. The hustle and bustle of the streets surprised her parents and they gazed out of their windows with amazement as they saw business men and women scurry to their jobs and ignore the homeless families on the sides of the streets, panhandling for money on the curbs.

Linda reached her apartment and parallel parked outside of the building. She helped her parents with their bags and led them to the third floor apartment. As the door swung open, her mother and father gazed at the simplicity of her home. It was an average apartment with little creativity at all.

Linda was always busy at work and almost never had the time to decorate or take care of the house much more than what was necessary. It was plain and had one bedroom along with a futon in her living room. As her parents unpacked, she opened up the couch to make it a queen sized bed and grabbed sheets and pillows from the closet to set up. "I hope this will do" Linda said, staring at the bed in front of her. "It is perfect, honey. Thank you for inviting us into your house!" Her mother quickly exclaimed. They unpacked their luggage into a few drawers in a nightstand and put on their pajamas, each taking time to hop in the shower. Linda began setting up to cook, but to her avail, she had no food for her parents to eat tonight while she was on her date. Then, she found some boxes of macaroni and cheese and set them on the counter just as her parents walked out. Linda ran to the bathroom, showered, and blow dried her hair.

She laid out a slim, form fitting black dress that was strapless and had a silver belt that accentuated her petite waistline. She slipped it on and began her makeup. Then, she curled her hair to make bouncy locks and smiled into the mirror. "I'm ready!" Linda shouted to her parents, putting on her heels. Her mother smiled widely and her father nodded in approval. She pointed out the boxes on the counter. "I hope that is okay. I don't have much food in here" Linda sighed. Her father hugged her and said," it is perfectly fine sweet heart".  Her mom insisted on slapping a couple photographs of her daughter to which Linda hastily agreed to.

*beep* her phone buzzed in her pocket. She took it out and she had received a text. It read: I'll be there in a minute. Obviously it was Chase and Linda began to feel last minute jitters as she paced around the room.

The doorbell rang. She hugged her parents and swing the door open, revealing a tall, handsome man in a button up shirt and dark pants. They smiled at each other, and Linda slipped out the door, grabbing her purse. The door shut softly and they were gone.