Chapter 3

When I opened my eyes I was laying outside the fence. And beside me stood the same officer who was running after me just a while before, I gulped. He stood in front of me with his arms by his hips, and he held an inhaler in his hands. I didn't know if I should've ran up to the officer and given him a big hug for saving my life. Or given all the credits to the inhaler and be scared of the officer since I knew I was in trouble.

"You're awake aren't ya?" He spoke with a deep French accent, "wait till your parents know what you did."

"Am I going to jail?" I squeaked.

He chuckled at my remark, "silly girl, we don't take mental children like you go into jail. What were you even doing in those woods? Is this some suicide mission kids do every year cause I don't understand why you would try getting into those woods."

I ignored what he said and continued, "do you know why these deaths happen?"

"Oh I'm sorry, I would think you would know," he snickered, "well you are the one who almost died there, so answer your own question."

At this is I quickly got up, "there was some monster in the woods! More like this zombie, yes that's what it was. And it was coming after me!"

When I noticed how bored he looked I continued, "I swear there was a zombie in those woods and they were following me!"

He pretended to yawn, "and I swear that this crazy girl is really mental."

"It's funny seeing the way kids like you think, zombie my ass,"he sneered. "Well anyways now that you're up, lets go talk to your parents, lets see what they think about your little exhibition, shall we?"

He pushed my back making me stumble forwards, but not fall. I glared at him. We walked till my house, and once we arrived I could see the lights open inside and shadows of my parents on the phone. Suddenly I started to get nervous, I didn't know if I wanted to face my parents just yet. I don't think arriving with a police officer in the middle of the night is a good sign for them. I stopped in my tracks, and stood there staring at the house.

"Come on now, we don't have all day! Move," the officer irritably spoke.

Yet I still stood there motionlessly, wide eyed staring at where my parents were. But when the officer yanked my arm it got me moving again. He pressed the doorbell and waited patiently.

"Eliot can you get that? It must be Lesley," I could hear my mother yelling from inside.

Slowly the door opened and my dad faced us, confused.

"Excuse me sir, but your child went into the Whispering Willows and then started running away. It's a good this I found her though," the officer said smugly, "she was having a asthma attack, and if it weren't for me taking her out of there and saving her, she wouldn't be here right now. You can thank me later."

My dad looked at me disappointedly, but when my mom came she started yelling at me.

"She did what? And you said you were at Rachel's place! I cannot believe you disowned us like that!" She kept going on and on, and the officer seemed to be enjoying it all, "you could have died for gods sake! You're grounded for two months! No wait, two years! No wait, forever," she said not being able to sustain herself to make up her mind.

"Thank you officer, I'll handle it from here," my mom told him a little more calmly.

When he left she raised her hand, and I shamelessly looked down. Then she whipped her hand across my face causing my head to turn in pain.

"Up to your room, now!" She said fiercely.

As I walked upstairs, tears drained down my face. I realize I might've lied and broken rules, but I was just curious to know, why. That's all I ever asked my whole life, why was there this? And why was there that? Why did things work a certain way and not others. Why, why, why, and maybe a couple what's too. Like what was in those woods that was chasing me? I wasn't dumb enough to not know that nobody would believe me if I told them I saw a zombie. Everyone knew they only existed in movies to put on a good show. But it ached me to know more of that monster and I knew I wasn't going to give up just yet.