The Loving Game ch. 2

Chapter 2.

                I wobble uneasily on the sidewalk leading into the house. I can hear the music blaring and shouts from within the open doors. A girl dressed as an angel pauses to stop vomiting in the bushes to wave hello to Jen, who quickly waves back.               

                I glance ahead of me. "Jen, slow down!" I say, I watch as she takes easy swift strides in her heels, looking like a model on a runway, while I look like a drunk penguin getting off of a subway.

                "Hey sexy, see you  on the dance floor?" A half naked guy swinging a bottle of beer in his hand says towards Jen. Her figure halts for me to catch up, her dark red hair straightened to perfection and  topped with grey cat ears, tumbles down her back. My hair, the color of coal, can't even compare.

                "Not a chance Garrett." She says with a smirk at the guy. I notice his chest is dotted with various colored lipstick marks.

                It doesn't look as if the guy is registering what she is saying, his glazed over eyes are fixed on her chest, too drunk to care. As we walked briskly past him and toward the front door of the house, the charming scent of alcohol, pot, and heavily perfumed high school part-time strippers mingles with the lovely smell of sweat and vomit.

                As we enter the house the noise finally hits my ears fully.  Jen is trying to tell me something but I can't hear her, so I just nod my head and smile as I stand in the doorway and gape at the scene before me.

                All the furniture in the house has been pushed against the walls to form a dance floor on the hardwood floor, littered with plastic red cups and parts of costumes.

                Jen reappears through a doorway holding two plastic cups filled to the brim. "Don't be a prude Rory!" She calls to me as I take the cup. I watch as she downs half of the liquid and I glance down into my cup. It smells like alcohol. "Go ahead, drink some! I'll know if you haven't had any if you aren't drunk later!" I hold the cup to my lips, but don't drink any. I pretend to swallow and pull it away with a grin. "Told ya you'd like it. Now, let's go dance!"

                She disappears into the pit of moving bodies and I pour the drink into a potted plant against the wall before slipping into the crowd. I catch sight of Jen grinding against a guy dressed as a police officer, she spins around and puts her hands on his chest. "Come on Rory, find someone to dance with." She calls, but before I can respond a guy is pulling me onto the dance floor.

                I start to dance with him, hearing the music beat through my ears, the shouts and whistles of the crowd, and I'm lost in the party for a while, forgetting I look like a whore, or that the guy I'm dancing with is dressed as Julius Caesar, or even the fact that the heels Jen loaned me are a size to big.

                 Then I see him. Owen. Entering through the door with a blonde girl dressed like a playboy bunny hanging onto his arm. I stop dancing, and am immediately jostled and bumped into. I stumble off the dance floor, tripping in my heels. He looks up and sees me, giving me a scornful look. Oh gosh, he recognizes me.

                "Hey Rory." He says disdainfully.

                "H-h-hi Owen." I stammer. This was not how our plan was supposed to go.

                "Didn't think I'd be seeing you here."  He was dressed in a pinstripe suit, like an old fashioned criminal.

                Then I feel Jen at my side. "Rory? Are you kidding me? We've been hitting up parties all the time now that you two broke up. Guys have been all over her. Right Roar?" She asks, using her nickname for me.