Chapter 3

Father's funeral came and went. To be honest, I hardly remember a thing. I tried my best not to think about what really happened and how much it would impact my life. 

All of Crecsintina mourned their beloved king's death. Every family in the whole land brought white rose petals and sprinkled them at the front of the palace gates. The sight of it was like seeing the first snowfall in the middle of the summer. 

After my father died, I locked myself in my room. I didn't talk to anyone, not even my mother who was constantly trying to get me to open my doors. The only exception I made was to let the maid in who brings my meals. I also had her secretly bring me some of the petals the townspeople had left. I kept them in my jewelry box along with the pearl necklace my father gave me when I turned 10 years old.

I ached to see Chris, but that would mean I would have to leave the safety of my room and see my mother, who would most likely remind me that I need to be married off to some prince. So, I decided to sneak out.

I told the maid who brings my meals to go into town and find Chris. After she found him, I advised her to give him a message; Meet me under the rock at midnight.

So, that night at midnight, I put on a fresh dress, brushed my hair and even though it was much too hot out, I pulled on a black cloak to stay hidden within the night. I went through the kitchen, where a couple maids were still cleaning up. They smiled, obviously knowing what I was up to. 

I slipped out the back door and walked quickly, careful where I was putting my feet, all the way to the rock. 

Chris was already waiting for me there, and jumped up from under the rock at the sight of me. 

"Gosh, I though you were a bear," He said, smiling. 

"Oh, quit it. I'm much too short," I said. We grinned widely at each other for a few seconds, then Chris opened up his arms and I ran into them. We held on tight to each other, like the world was ending and it was our last moment together. 

Chris kissed my forehead and sighed. "How are you, mon amour?" He asked quietly. He had known me long enough to know that I was very emotional and even just the slightest thing could set me off.

"Not well. I needed to see you," I snuggled closer into his chest, resting my ear right above his heart and listening to the steady beat. 

"All I can say is that I know how you feel. It will never get better, but it will get easier, I promise. Losing someone is the worst thing anyone can go through, especially if that someone is your father." 

I was crying now, full on body-racking sobs. Chris's shirt was soaked with my tears. He just held me tighter and stayed silent until my eyes ran dry and there was nothing left to cry.

We sat down under the shelter of our rock, Chris' strong arms still wrapped securely around my body. 

"There's something else, though, too," I said, wiping my wet face off onto my cloak. 

"What is it?" 

"I have to get married."

Chris' arms loosened and I could feel him staring at me. "To…to who?" 

"I have no idea," I looked up at his shocked face. "Oh, please don't look at me like that." 

"But why?" He said, his voice rising a bit. He had completely let go of me now, his mouth in a wide open 'O' shape. 

"Because my father died, and everyone knows a queen cannot rule by herself. I'm the only heir, so I must marry. Whoever I marry becomes king," 

"Isn't there anyone else the throne can go to? Don't you have cousins? What about uncles? Why doesn't the throne go to your uncle?" 

"Because my only living uncle is already a king of another land, Chris. And all of my male cousins are under the age of 18. That leaves me. I'm the only one." 

"But what about us? What will I do if you get married to someone else?" 

"Please don't ask me those questions. I have no answer to either," I buried my face in my arms. "I just wish we could run away," I said.

"Well, then let's run away," 

I looked up at Chris. It was my turn to wear the shocked face.

"Why not? I'm sure there is someone else who could rule," 

"You don't understand. I promised my father I would marry," 

"Then marry me, Mabel. Marry me." 

-----

Heyoo! 

Okay, so this is another SUPER SHORT chapter. I know you're all like WHY?!?!? (At least that's what I hope you're thinking...) but I'm going to deffinetely start writing a lot more often, so even though I suck at writing longer chapters, there will be a lot of short chapters. 

Anyway, thank you SOOOOO much for reading! Also, please vote, comment and fan! Love you guys!!

PS. I'm introducing Prince Luke into the story in either the next chapter or the chapter after that! It's about to get DRAMATIC!! (pretend that's underlined, like, three thousand times)

NOTE: Big thanks to shayzzieily for making me the awesome new book cover! :D