Chapter 4

Hello! 

So, this is it! Chapter 4!! I am so so so sorry it took me this long to upload, but I have been so busy it's not even funny.

I hope you all enjoy! Please leave comments, telling me what you think! And also, don't forget to vote!! Thank you!

LOVE YOU ALL!!

P.S. I suggest listening to the song right over there ---> while reading this chapter! It is one of my most favorite songs, and I think it adds a little depth to the chapter if you listen while you read. 

-----

“What?” I asked, stunned at Chris’ sudden proposal. 

“Mabel, don’t play games. You know my intentions for us and our future life.” Chris said. He took my hand and squeezed it. 

“Chris.. I don’t know what to say. You know the rules,” I looked down at our hands, clasped together so tight. “a princess is not allowed to marry outside the royal bloodline.” 

“Then runaway with me.” He said, his eyes sparkling even in the dark. “Mabel, at least think about it. We could get married in town, and then just go.. far, far away. Just you and I. Please, think about it, Mabel.” 

“I will think about it. I promise. I just, don’t know if I could betray my father like that.. he wanted me to rule more than anything. It was his last wish,” Tears welled up in my eyes, thinking about my father. I missed him so much. “And my mother, how could I leave her in a state like this?”

Chris wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly. I rested my head on his chest.

“Maybe,” Chris began. “We can work something out.” He was silent for a minute, thinking. “No, we will work something out. There is no way I am letting you marry someone else.” 

All of a sudden, a torch lit in the distance. Several lit up seconds later. “Oh, no,” I breathed. “I guess my mother found out that I left..” I pointed to the lights, that were getting frighteningly closer. 

Chris jumped up, pulling me with him. “Meet me here, tomorrow night, same time. And Mabel, I love you. Don’t forget. I will be waiting.” And with that, he was off. 

I walked casually towards the torch lights. When I stepped into the clearing, there were shouts, and many men rushed to my side. 

“Princess!” A couple of them yelled. 

“Where have you been?”

“We have been searching for hours!” 

“Do not worry, I was only taking a stroll,” I said, moving strands of hair from my face like nothing had happened. 

My mother’s favorite guard came to my side, and put his arm around my shoulder. 

“Only a stroll, eh?” He said, a grin on his face. He had always been like an uncle, or a second father to me, so I did not mind his joking. “You have your mother worried sick. You get back to the castle, and take some hot tea to her.” He squeezed my shoulder, then dismissed the rest of the soldiers. 

I smiled back, nodded, then made my way back to the castle. I went through the kitchen, grabbing my mother’s favorite teacup and filling it with hot, steaming tea, the head maid, Lucy had already brewed. She smiled warmly at me as I walked up the twisting staircase, up to the main hall. 

Two giant staircases and three long halls later, I was finally knocking on my mother’s doors. 

“Come in,” Her muffled voice called on the other side of the doors. 

The doormen pushed open the door and a rush of freezing cold air blasted from my mother’s room. 

“Oh, Mabel! Thank goodness you are safe,” My mother was dressed in her nightgown, her pale skin looking more pale than ever, and her long, blonde hair sticking out in all directions. 

“Mother, I was never in danger. I simply went to take a stroll. To.. clear my mind,” I said, smiling. She seemed to relax once she saw my smile. I handed her the teacup, which she took gratefully. 

“Thank you,” She said, taking a sip and sitting on the edge of her bed with a huff. She patted the spot next to her on her bed. “Come, sit down.” 

I did as she said, and settled myself next to her. Her fingers immediately went for my hair. She ran her fingers through it, a small smile on her lips. I smiled, too, memories of my childhood rushing back to me. 

I used to run into my parents’ room, begging for my mother to fix my hair. She could French braid better than anyone in the whole country. She seemed to be thinking the same thing, as she started braiding my long hair. After she finished, I brushed and braided her hair, just the way she had taught me. 

Out of nowhere, she spoke up while I wrapped the ends of her hair in a hairband. “Mabel, there is something I have been keeping from you,” She began, her voice soft. I didn’t answer. “There is.. a prince. And, I am so sorry to only be telling you this now, but he has proposed marriage to you.” 

Shock strangled me. My thoughts immediately went to Chris.

“What?” I could hardly talk, my throat was completely dry. 

“Oh, dear, I am so sorry,” She said. “I know I should have told you sooner, I just.. I couldn’t.” 

“When?” I choked out.

“He is coming to visit. Tomorrow.” 

My mother looked so guilty, but I still was angry with her. How could she have kept this from me? I nearly broke into tears. 

“What is his name?” 

“Luke. Prince Luke.”