Chapter 19

Dear readers, all your comments and votes brought about this quick update! Thanks for the support :) (sorry it's short)

This chapter is dedicated to KarenHoodGreen for voting on every chapter and for her comments :) Thank you

________________________________________________________________________

"Sir, I have brought your dinner," a female's voice interrupted Jase's fitful slumber.

The maid carried the tray of food over to the bed where a shirtless Jase now sat running his hand through his already tousled blonde hair. Instead of rejuvenating him, the short nap only increased his weariness. Jase struggled to rid his mind of the vivid dreams that revolved around one particular girl – Catherine.

"This is your medication." The servant girl gestured to a silver jar containing a foul-smelling, black liquid. "Enjoy your dinner. The princess prepared it herself."

After the servant departed, Jase immediately reached for the goblet of water to quench his thirst. While downing the refreshing liquid, Jase lifted the silver lid that concealed his dinner with his free hand; his eyes registered the meal Catherine had prepared for him.

He felt an urge to simultaneously laugh and swear. The contrasting emotions resulted in a choked cough. Water sprayed from his mouth and rained on his dinner.

On a shiny silver platter was a wide variety of vegetables in various shades of green carefully arranged to resemble a tortoise. The front and back limbs were skilfully positioned, and the tortoise's tail was a single broccoli. Layers of leafy greens, including lettuce, kale, cabbage, and spinach, formed a dome-shaped external shell. The neck was non-existent as the tortoise was designed to look like it was retreating into its shell for protection. Huge, fearful eyes were depicted with black olives that were out of proportion with regards to the rest of the body.

A laugh escaped Jase's lips. Since he was alone, Jase relaxed his jaw and allowed the deep rumble of laughter to echo across the large chamber.

"I thought you were hallucinating again," a worried voice exclaimed.

Jase stopped mid-chuckle. Whipping his head toward the door, Jase eyed the newcomer with distaste. His mask was securely fastened.

"Why were you laughing?" Nathan asked, raising his eyebrows at his cousin while scanning the room for any other inhabitants.  

"I was building cheek muscles." Jase massaged his aching cheeks with his knuckles. He managed to make the action appear casually masculine.

Nathan rolled his eyes, accepting the fact that, once again, he wasn't going to get an honest answer.

"I've been waiting to talk to you," Nathan began seriously as he approached Jase, who was still massaging his cheeks.

"Yeah, I know. I miss the sound of my voice too."

Throwing his hands up in exasperation, Nathan said, "Drop the act."

"Why do people keep saying that? Do I look like a street performer to you?" Jase countered irritably, thinking of what Catherine had said earlier.

"Not a street performer. A professional actor," Nathan replied honestly. For the past six years, Jase had managed to delude Nathan and everyone else – including himself – that he really didn't give a damn about anything and everything. His immaculate acting skills had failed to convince Catherine. With help from Catherine, Nathan was beginning to see through Jase's act as well. 

Jase ignored him; he picked up the jar of black liquid and drained it at once without grimacing. It left a bitter taste in his mouth.

"Look, what I have to say is important. I –"