Chapter 6

• Dedicated to My sister!

Hi guys :) i am absolutely exhausted... my eyes are killing me. Like i promised, i upadated within three days! (sooo sleepy) i really hope you enjoy it! Please leave comments and suggestions for improvement! i love hearing from you! i want to know what you think! It really helps me improve as a writer!

Vote too? :) maybe fan? (am i pushing my luck?) =D

____________________________________________________________

Jase tugged on the reins of his black mare, slowing Silver to a speedy trot, as they approached the city gates of Bellerania. Staying close behind a crowd of traders, Jase managed to gain entrance into the city without any trouble. When he was well within the walls of the city, Jase relaxed and looked about his surroundings keenly. The narrow cobblestone streets were lined with sturdy, well-built buildings of stone and wood. The familiar clatter of hooves and scrape of carts on cobblestones filled the chilly morning air.

The people were jolly and high-spirited, greeting each other and striking up merry conversations. The marketplace was the hub of social life. Open stalls displayed the goods the people were willing to trade. Bread, ale, weapons, leather goods, cloths, jewellery, herbs and candles were some of the goods offered. Jase was hit by a wave of nostalgia and was left drowning in multi-sensory memories as he slowly made his way through the crowded marketplace.

During King Edmund’s rule, the marketplace of Esyria was very much like this. Jase remembered staring in awe when his father brought him along for a visit. He could not help comparing the busy streets of Bellerania to the dark, dirty streets of Esyria under his uncle’s rule.

You are to be blamed, Damian. You wanted to conquer our land and expand your territories, well, you failed. However, you did succeed in ruining the lives of many Esyrians by killing my father. We now live in poverty and suffering. Many children have grown accustomed to the empty feeling of hunger. Laughing citizens are replaced with malnourished beggars. You will pay.

His blood boiled with anger as he thought about his parents’ murderer. His muscles begged him to start a fight to take out his frustration. He yearned to shatter the peace and harmony of the marketplace. Jase ran a hand through his messy blonde hair.

Calm down. Stick to the plan. Revenge will come in good time.

Jase took a deep breath to calm down. He just made it into the city. He did not want to be kicked out for starting a fight and disturbing the peace. Not yet. He had a task to complete.

Through his peripheral vision, he spied a young woman struggling in the grasp of a beefy man. The woman’s skirt was ripped all the way up to her thighs, displaying her long, fair legs.  The couple was almost completely hidden in the dark shadow of a building and the crowd was too preoccupied to notice them. The bearded man grabbed onto the woman’s hair, yanking her head back and covering her mouth with his, effectively muffling her sobs of protests.  Pinning her against the wall, he began to caress her body while pressing himself to her. Jase cursed under his breath.

“Are you so ugly that you have to force yourself on a woman?” hissed Jase menacingly as he approached the pair. His muscles tensed at the prospect of fighting.

Perfect. This is exactly what I wanted; a fight for a good cause.

The bearded man twisted around to search for the speaker. “Ah. A knight in shining armour here to save the damsel in distress I presume?” He laughed without humour at Jase’s appearance. “I think you forgot your armour boy.”

“Let her go,” Jase commanded with authority. He reached out and forcefully removed the bearded man’s hands from the woman’s chest to emphasise his point.