Chapter 39 - edited

"What the hell do you mean Abel's coming soon?" Ransom says with a scowl.

"Exactly what it sounds like. He sent a messenger demon to give me a letter. He said Abel doesn't know where we are yet but he's sending more trackers to look for us." I say as I hand them the letter and watch their expression change from shock to anger.

"You're sure the demon doesn't remember coming here?" Christian asks with wide eyes.

"Yes, it may have been the first time I used charmspeak but it's definitely a powerful thing to use, I'm tired from even trying to use it." I say as I rub my head, pushing away the growing fatigue.

"We need to call your grandmother. She can help relocate us to somewhere more safe." Christian says but I shake my head at him.

"We're not running again." I say and Ransom glares at me.

"We can't just wait here for him to attack. We need to leave and soon." He says and I glare at him. I'm tired of running like a scared princess that can't defend herself.

"I don't want to run anymore. He'll find us eventually. We might as well confront him instead of just prolonging the suspense." I say and both of the guys scowl at me.

"I won't let you get hurt. We're leaving." Ransom says with a growl. I look to Christian for help but he just shakes his head. I mentally flip him off before looking back to Ransom.

"No. We're not leaving. I'm not going to be hurt. I want this nightmare to end so our lives can go back to being normal." Well as normal as can be for the princess of Hell. I think to myself.

"Liviana, you are my wife and it is my job to protect you. We need to leave." He says, taking a step towards me. I step towards him, showing him I'm not giving up without a fight.

"Ransom, I am the future queen. It's my job to keep everyone safe. Including you and all of the Underworld creatures. What I say is what goes and we are not leaving." I tell him with a stern voice.

"Dammit! Why do you have to be so damn stubborn?" He tells at me before pacing the kitchen.

"Because I've had good training from the most stubborn man I know. He told me that no matter what I believe, don't give up, never let others try to steer me away from what my instinct is telling me is right." I say, quoting Ransom from before we came to the human world. He stops pacing and turns to me with wide eyes.

"I'm starting to think me giving you advice is a bad thing. You always find a way to use it against me." He says, running a hand through his still damp hair. I sigh and look at the ground.

"I know you want to keep me safe but we can't keep running. I don't want to face Abel but we have to eventually. We might as well get it over with. A true ruler never runs from their enemies. They strike before they can be struck down. I will not be seen as weak by running and cowering behind others. I have to face this and get rid of him before he can do anymore harm to our world. What kind of princess would I be if I left my kingdom to fend for themselves?" I ask but I don't get an answer. The guys are silent, not knowing what to say. I feel Ransom move closer to me and he wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me against his bare chest.

"You sound just like your father. He would be proud." He mumbles against the top of my head. I smile at what he said. I've always feared that I would not live up to the expectations that my father will leave behind, but I know that with a lot of practice, I'll be a great leader.

"Thank you. Now we ready need to get ready for school. I'll reheat the food while you two get dressed." I say and they both laugh. Christian leaves without a fight but Ransom stays behind for awhile just watching me. "What?" I ask him as I take the food out of the microwave after a minutes and put a cover over it to keep it warm.

"I just can't believe how different you are now. Before we left the Underworld you wanted nothing to do with being queen. Now you're thinking as if you've been a queen for many years." He says with a smile.

"Is that a bad thing?" I ask as I reheat the coffee. He shakes his head and grins at me.

"Not at all. In fact I find it very hot." He says and I gasp at his bluntness but I can't help but feel slightly turned on by his statement.

"Ransom!" I yell and he laughs at me. "I can't believe you said that." I say as I shake my head at him.

"Yes you can. And I know I just turned you on by saying that." He says with a knowing grin and I blush which makes his grin deepen. "Exactly. I know what I do to you, Liv." He says in a cocky tone.

"You're so full of yourself." I say as I roll my eyes and he laughs.

"Well if you have the goods to back it up, it's just a fact babe." He says and winks at me. I can't help but laugh. Just a few minutes ago we were arguing and now it's like that never happened. With us, we can never be truly mad at each other.

"Just go get dressed. I'll be up in ten to get dressed to." I say and he grins at me.

"Can I pick your outfit?" He asks and I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Depends, what are you going to pick?" I ask and his grin deepens. Oh Satan. I go to tell him no but before I can he runs up the steps. I call after him but he just laughs.

"You're gonna love it, babe!" He shouts behind him but I can't reply because he's already out of range.

"I'm in trouble." I think to myself as I finish placing everything on the table. I look at the clock on the wall and see that we still have a little over an hour before we have to leave. I decide to go upstairs to see what outfit Ransom put together for me. "Ransom if you picked out something that will show half my body, I will kill you." I warn him through our mind link as I slowly make my way up the steps, dreading to see the outfit he picked me.

Edited on June 11, 2016