December

~December's POV~

I approached A.C's door and knocked.

"Hello?"

I heard a grunt from inside and figured that was my cue to enter. I threw the door open and flopped on the worn leather couch.

"Hiya, A.C."

"December." he responded, not looking up from his paperwork.

"So I have some questions..." I said, trailing off.

"Yes?" He responded, glancing up from the papers.

"What are we going to do with all these people?" I asked.

"People?" He prodded.

"Yes, the ones from the rescue. And speaking of which, what was the point of that anyways?" 

Responding quickly, he said; "The rescue was clearly to rescue those deprived people, who have all been assigned rooms, for your information." and looked down again.

"When are they evaluated?" I asked.

"We have already checked the ages and sent the adults away. The likely won't remember anything. The teenagers will receive the usual basic training and then will be evaluated. December, you know how this works." A.C explained, scratching his beard.

"I know how it works, but this time everything was so rushed. I wasn't sure if we were sticking to protocol or not. It's a valid question A.C."

"Fair enough then." He responded, nodding.

"And the one in the hospital?" 

"Which one?" He asked with a puzzled expression.

"Hayes." I responded flatly. "How are you this misinformed?"

"Lots of work to do lately, Missy. I don't have time for everything. Just look after him when he is released. You have the only open room left."

I sighed. "There aren't any other arrangements?" 

"No."

"Fine then. But please keep an eye out for an opening for him." I pleaded. I do not share rooms.

"You've got it." He answered before practically shoving me out the door.

***

When I walked in the dining hall, I was greeted by the welcoming shouts of the cafeteria and the smell of fresh cooked food. I grabbed a tray and nodded politely at the others as I walked over to the serving stations.

I grabbed a salad and a glass of milk. I didn't feel like eating much anyways. 

Glancing around the room, I looked for friendly faces. To be honest, everybody was pretty friendly, yet more than half of them tend to bother me. They always complained about the work we had to do, while we had it the easiest out of everyone else in the country.

I picked a seat at a small round table where Hope, Skylar, Kai, and Dan were laughing and eating. I would call them my friends, but I never really talked to them outside of meal times.

"Hey December." Dan greeted before spearing his food with a fork.

"Hi guys." I returned with a smile. Might as well be friendly. Hope smiled back. Social skills are a wonderful thing.

"Hey does anyone know what happened at the rescue with that one guy?" Skylar asked suddenly. The gossip queen of the group, I'd noticed.

Dan grumbled. "Ah, yes, the rescue I wasn't recruited for."