Don't Let Go

• Dedicated to NOBODY, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Don't let go.

The words ring in Eleanor's head like a bell. But a broken bell; one that can never sound happy, even if played by an angel in the happiest place on earth. Her eyes sting from the scum floating in the water.

Everything is going to be fine. Just don't let go.

She would laugh if her mouth wasn't all ready full of disgusting, salty water. Nothing is ever fine for Eleanor Keys. No matter how hard she tries, she can't seem to get the memories out of her head. The curdled screams and cries of the fellow passengers, all meaningless as the ship sank. Hundreds of people. All dead. Even she is slipping quickly, as the numbness creeps from her fingers and toes to her hands and feet. She turns her head up to the surface, batting her blonde hair our of her face with her almost completely numb hands.

Isn't the sea beautiful?

She had agreed with him earlier, but now, as she is sinking lower and lower, and her lungs are slowly filling with it, the sea doesn't seem all that beautiful. She shakes her arms and legs as vigorously as they will shake, bringing her closer to the surface. Now her nose is only inches from it. From the air. How she longs for it, something that she had completely taken for granted. Oh, how good it would feel to spit out the disgusting water and breathe in real air!

Mmm... Smell that, Ellie? That's lovely sea air. That's what you'll be waking up to every morning.

You mean I'll be feeling seasick every morning?

They had laughed like a pack of hyenas then, as though the thought of air was funny. But it's not; The thought of air is very serious. Without it, you would just die. She reaches her hand up to the surface.

Don't worry, Ellie, that storm ain't doing anything to this boat!

It penetrates the thin layer of freezing cold. She wonders if he is still alive, swimming around, looking for people to save. She wonders if he's looking for her.

Don't be such a scaredy cat! It's just a little rain.

She lifts her other hand up to the surface and it, too, enters the freezing cold air. She pulls them down then up, down then up...

You'd better get inside, Ellie, it looks like the rain could be strong.

Her head pierces the surface. She splutters and coughs up large amounts of water, and her lungs empty. Now this, she wasn't expecting. As soon as she takes in her first large breath she screams. "Hello?! Is there anyone out there?!"

Only silence replies. She swims forwards with her numb legs trailing behind her. "Is there anybody there?!"

More silence.

"IS THERE ANYBODY THERE?!"

Then something happens; Someone calls her name. A faint "Eleanor" comes from the distance, along with a bit of light. She slaps the water as though it would make her go faster.

"Hello?!" she screams. The light comes closer. It must be a boat. Someone's come to rescue her. "Hello! I'm here!"

The light comes even closer, and Eleanor can make out a figure on a slim boat. "Ellie?"

"Help!" She reaches an arm out to him but she falls several inches under the water. As she floats back up something hits her head. It's a lifebelt, but it's yellow instead of red.

"Grab on to the lifebelt!" he says, his voice slightly fuzzy at the edges. She slides it over her head and hooks her arms around it. It burns her slightly, but that doesn't matter. Because she's going to live. The ring is pulled towards the boat and she holds a numb hand out to the edge of the boat. She is engulfed in a bright light and sudden warmth.

"Don't let go." he says. "Everything's going to be all right, just don't let go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

#404 in short story and #593 in other. WHAT?!?!