First Kiss

Though Ellette was a secretive person, she was adaptable. Living in another person's space, with other people, was simply part of her life. Her secrets were internal, her privacy the black spaces in her own mind, her escape the realm of sleep. Living on Rand's pull out couch for the better part of a year wasn't the easiest of arrangements, but it worked for them.

Even so, she rarely trespassed on the privacy of his sanctuary, his room, unless invited. The kitchen, the living room, and of course the bathroom, were shared territory. His small single room was his and his alone.

When she stood in the doorway to speak to him, she fidgeted nervously.

"We really should get a larger place." He was saying as he folded and put away clothes. Her clothing occupied the drawers of the massive, wheeled coffee table. She nodded absently, her eyes darting around the room, then back down to her feet. "I've got enough saved up for a deposit, and your work is steady enough, we should be able to afford it," he continued.

She had to admit, she was relieved he wasn't suggesting she get her own place. "Yeah, but I like it here..." she muttered, shifting from foot to foot.

"You have no space of your own, it's not fair," he turned to her.

She leaned on the doorway, avoiding eye contact.

"Ellette?" he prompted.

She shook her head, the idea of change scared her. This tiny apartment was safe, she was content here. "I don't mind."

Rand sighed and sat on the bed, patting the spot next to him.

She hesitated.

"Come on, come sit." he coaxed.

She shook her head.

He got to his feet and went to her, pulling her into the room by a hand. He settled back onto the bed but left her standing. She shifted, raising her gaze to the chest of drawers and the photos that lined the top of it. Rand's past life was documented there: A younger Rand, hair cropped short with a little boy in his arms; he and a beautiful young woman at the grand canyon; an older woman that resembled Rand in the eyes; and a large photo of a round-faced baby.

How he could stand to look at any of them was beyond her. The boy and young woman were gone, one dead, one estranged. The older woman Ellette assumed was his mother, but she didn't dare ask. She sighed heavily and dropped her eyes again, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"I don't want to... I don't want to jinx it, us," she explained after a while.

"Well, I've had my eye out for a new place, but I won't make a move until you're ready. No pressure, but you will come look if I find one I like, right?"

She nodded and let herself fall back on the bed, staring up at the cracked ceiling. "You know, the dreams have all but stopped," she said softly. "I kind of like it." A change of subject seemed to be in order.

He stared down at her silently. She closed her eyes, her hands folded on her stomach.

"Oh?" he said after a long moment.

She nodded, and the silence stretched between them. "Yeah, it's kind of peaceful to just sleep. Though, I do know better." She sighed. "I know better than to hope that this is permanent. I know it won't go away that easily..."

The warmth of his hand encircled hers. "I'll be here to watch over you." His voice was soft, and he hesitated to add, "as long as you're here."

She sat up and threw her arms around him. Face buried into his chest, she fought down the thunder of her heart and did her best not to flinch when his hands settled gently on her back. Everywhere he touched burned with heat, but in a good way, and she let herself relax into his embrace. It hurt to breathe but otherwise felt good.