MEETING

Chapter 10

MEETING

I woke up in the morning, pretty cranky, pulling the blanket over my head. The sun was shining through the open window. Why were the blinds open? It was the weekend. Nobody needed to be up early. I groaned, rolling over to turn away from the window and the bright sun. I glanced at the alarm clock on the nightstand. 9:08 am. Why was I awake this early on a weekend? I suddenly realized that Bobby was no longer sleeping on the floor where he had been last night after tiring of playing video games. I sat up quickly, looked around my room. Not here. I panicked, looking out the window, seeing his car was still parked outside. He was in my house unsupervised. He could be feeding on my family!

Practically flying off the bed to my door, I ran out of my room and down the stairs. When I reached the bottom, both my parents, Annie, her friend Macy, and Bobby were in the kitchen staring at me wide-eyed. I guess I made a spectacle running down stairs like a raging bull. I stared back, feeling confused. Everyone was eating breakfast except Bobby.

"Hey Max, I made breakfast, would you like some?" Bobby asked way too cheerfully. I shrugged, sitting down next to Annie, who was watching me suspiciously.

"Max, after we eat, you need to take Macy home," my mother was saying, as she was enjoying the food Bobby prepared.

"Yeah, okay." I replied, really not interested in the food or talking to my parents. I ate anyway, so they wouldn't pay any attention to me. My parents were asking Bobby questions, and Bobby was laughing at what Annie and Macy were saying.

"Max we have to go do some stuff later today," Bobby said, when everyone was getting up and leaving the kitchen.

"Stuff? What kind of stuff?" I asked sarcastically.

"Just a meeting. We need to discuss what arrangements to make for you. Also, there's some other business that we need to attend to." Bobby replied in a low voice.

"I have to take Macy home. When I come back we can go."

"I'll drive Macy home so we can leave sooner. It's a bit of a long drive." I nodded, heading into the living room.

The living room had dramatically changed since last night. There was no longer a blanket fort covering everything. The coffee table was pushed up against a wall and a large blanket was spread out on the floor with a large pile of blankets sat in the middle. Annie and Macy sat on the couch watching cartoons. They either didn't notice me sitting down in the armchair or they just chose to ignore me.

"I'm ready." I heard Bobby say from somewhere behind me.

"Okay Annie, say bye to Macy. We're going to take her home now. We've got some things to do today." I stood up.

"Can I come?" Annie said, jumping up.

"No, we have to do adult stuff. No kids. Sorry, Annie," I replied quickly, walking Macy to the door with her backpack.

"That's not fair. You won't be an adult for a few weeks! Why do you get to do stupid adult stuff already!" She was pouting and crossing her arms over her chest.

"Annie, we can hang out later tonight. Bobby and I have to go do some work that wouldn't be any fun for you. You'd wind up pretty ticked off at me." She looked so sad and beautiful.

"You don't know that, unless I go!" She was trying to change my mind.

"Annie you can't. I'm sorry, I'll take you to get ice cream tomorrow instead."

"Fine, but I want two scoops," she was still pouting.

"Bye, Annie." I quickly closed the door so there wouldn't be any more debate. I did hear a muffled cry, but I never really knew what she said.