ATTACK!

The long drive home from the palace was boring as it was silent.  I pretended to be asleep the entire time.  I didn't really feel up to be social with Bobby, who was driving with outrageous speed, just like Luke had done the night before.  I started to feel better as we passed the “Welcome” sign just before arriving on Main Street.  I was almost home.  I was about to tell Bobby which turns to take, but, to my surprise, he just seemed to know.  He made the correct turns and pulled to a stop directly in front of my house.  I reached for the handle to exit quickly, but the door locked before I could open it and run to freedom and the safety of my home.

"Listen, I get what you're going through, Max.  I've been there.  I was like you once upon a time.  I had a family, a normal life, and hopes and dreams for the future,  just like you do.  Let me give you something else to think about until your birthday."  Bobby was looking at me, and somehow, he didn't seem as threatening.  He almost looked kind. "Yes, you are being asked to leave your family, and they will never see you again.  But it doesn't mean you won't be able to see them.  You can come visit and watch over them and protect them.  You can make investments so your family can live a wonderful life.    You could be their security."  Bobby started me thinking about the many possibilities.  "I had an older brother.  Before I was changed, he was already married and had a baby on the way.  I watched over his family and took care of things.  When things were not going well, I was there helping them.  Now, I watch over him in the nursing home.  I take care of things for his children, his children's children.  Try not to focus on becoming a vampire as such a bad thing.  I know you're supportive of your sister.  Wouldn't you like to be able to watch over her and protect her, always, just like you do now?  It is up to you.  Please understand that you do have to leave them.”

I listened carefully, and considered the various possibilities.  I would be able to help and protect them forever.  I decided I need to get out of the car because I had sat there long enough.  I reached for the door handle and pushed it open.  I got up feeling stiff from sitting in the car for so long.  Or was it stiff from fear of Bobby?

"Oh, I almost forgot. I'll be watching you, so don't even think about telling anybody about us.  I will have to hurt you and your family and I really don't want to do that.  Are we clear?" Bobby asked, a slight smile on his lips.  All the fear came flooding back into me as I realized Bobby actually had fangs.

I slammed the door and ran to the house, terrified with fear trying too get my key in the door. I just wanted to get into the safety of my home before heturned on me and killed me just because he could.  I finally was able to get open the door and shove it open as fast as I could, slamming it closed behind locking both locks as well as the deadbolts.  I turned around and took some deep breaths trying to get a grasp on what was happening to me.  I nearly screamed when out of the corner of my eye I saw a all movement.  I quickly turned to see two heads and two sets of eyes staring at me from the edge of the couch.

Annie, my little eight year old sister and her little friend Macy where there staring at me with big eyes and looking very curious.  I took another deep breath trying to calm down. Bobby didn't follow me in and kill me. At least not yet.  Annie started bouncing on the couch.  She was giggling and chattering very excitedly.

"Max your home!  Look, Mommy said Macy could sleep over because you went to a sleepover!"  She was cheering, her little friend Macy joining her.  Macy started jumping up and down, joining her.

“That's cool!  I see you built a fort."  I said, looking around the living room.  I trying to take their attention from me so they didn't pick up on the fact I was freaking out.

"Yeah, but you can't come in, no boys aloud!" Annie said, pointing to a handwritten scribbled signs.

"That's okay, no boys want to go into to a smelly old girls fort anyway," I said, flipping her hair up as I walked around the fort that covered the living room to the base of the stairs.