Why Can't You See Me?

Unrequited love From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unrequited love or one-sided love is love that is not openly reciprocated or understood as such. The beloved may or may not be aware of the admirer's deep and strong romantic affections. The Merriam Webster Online Dictionary defines unrequited as "not reciprocated or returned in kind."

"Shut up," I muttered and shut off my computer from the main switch.

                                                                       ***

"I'm sick and tired of writing songs about you," I sang softly, staring up at the vast azure sky. The lush green grass swayed in the wind. Lying in the middle of my huge garden always made me feel at ease. "This is it, this is the end."

I turned to look at the person lying next to me. His posture was relaxed and he breathed deeply with his eyes closed. There was a soft smile playing on his lips- no doubt he was having a good time thinking about Evie McNaughtin. His chocolate brown hair was a mess as always but I was itching to run a hand through it.

"Hey, Mitty," he said.

"What, Ron?" I said, losing my train of thought.

He turned and looked at me, finally opening his eyes. I felt like I was being sucked in as I stared back into his clear green eyes.

Ba-thump. Ba-thump. Ba-thump.

Couldn't he hear my heart pounding? Couldn't he see the effect he had on me?

"Why do you look so sad?" he asked, sounding concerned. 

He noticed? God. I quickly looked away feeling my eyes sting as I recognized the tell-tale signs of the waterworks about to start.

I cleared my throat, trying to dislodge the lump I suddenly felt. "Do I look sad?"

"Yeah, you do. You've been looking sad for about two weeks. Is everything okay?" The conern in his voice gave rise to the hope in my heart but I quickly beat it back. He loved me as a friend- a sister- there was no way he would ever see me as a love interest.

"Ah, no everything's fine," I said and turned to give him a bright smile. "I was just thinking about this anime series I had just watched. It was really sad."

He laughed. "You've been obsessed with anime ever since we were ten! I really don't see what's so good about it. Even Evie doesn't see what's so addicting about it."

I forced a laugh and said, "You normal people will never understand." Evie, Evie, Evie. Everything's always about Evie. Evie this, Evie that.

"You nerd," he laughed.

A nerd, that's what I was. I should know my place. I should be happy that I even got to be friends with him.

"Shut up, you dumb jock," I teased him.

He chuckled and reached over to give my nose a tweak. I blushed as soon as his finger touched my nose.

"So where do you think I should take Evie for our next date?" he asked, looking at me with his wide innocent eyes.

He trusted me so much that it actually hurt. No, I couldn't ever betray him. I can't bear to hurt him.

I pretended to think for a while. I can never say no to anyone. "How about I have a talk with her and get an answer out of her without actually telling her of your plans?" I hate her. I hate, Evie. She has no idea how lucky she is.