The Muses: Chapter Seven

(Very) Brief A/N: A BIG thanks to each and every one of you for all your patience and support!! I know it's been a while since my last post, and this one is kind of short, but hopefully you'll still find it worthy of your love<3 Thanks for being AMAZING! Please, don't forget to vote, like, and comment :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE MUSES

By: Rachel Desiree Kramer

Chapter Seven

“Woah. Someone looks positively sunny. I’m having a hard time looking directly at you.” Candice is leaning against the red hood of her Civic with one hand resting on her hip.  She tucks a loose auburn lock of hair behind her ear, measuring me with her eyes. “What’d I miss?”

It takes every ounce of control I have in me not to squeal. Still, I notice my voice has gone up several octaves in pitch. “Jude asked me to Homecoming!” The stupid smile I’ve been wearing is almost painful now.

Candice blinks once. Twice. She’s smiling now, too, mirroring my enthusiasm. “For cereal?!” She doesn’t have any reservations about squealing on my behalf. “Well, damn, it’s about time that boy’s made a move!”

“What do you mean,” I ask, adjusting my heavy backpack which is slung over one shoulder. I maneuver it to hang on my other one. “School only started a few days ago—I hadn’t seen him all summer.”

The car beeps as the Civic’s doors unlock, and Candice makes her way to the near door. Her back is to me, but I can hear the eye-roll I can’t see in her tone. “Oh, yeah, because he’s just now all of a sudden into you. Don’t be dense, Piper. Jude’s had it bad for you since freshman year, yo.”

For a moment it’s like gravity stops existing and my insides feel oddly weightless, like it does when I’m freefalling on a rollercoaster. “You can’t possibly know that.” I don’t know why I’m arguing this point with her. After all, I want what Candice has told me to be true.

Candice opens the car door and plops her binder down on the backseat. “But I do,” she insists, turning around to take my bag, and setting it down in the back beside her stuff.

She has already closed the rear car door, and is making her way to the driver’s side by the time I find my voice again. I wait until we climb into the car together so that I am not shouting to her over the car.

“Did he actually tell you with his own lips that he likes me,” I ask, buckling my seatbelt.

Candice starts her car and lowers the radio, which is currently playing an upbeat pop song that perfectly expresses what I’m feeling. “He didn’t need to—”

“Oh, see? You’re so full of it, C. You can’t say stuff like that unless you know with one-hundred percent certainty that it’s true,” I chastise. She’d been getting my hopes up, something I cannot afford. A fall from such great heights could break something.