Castle in the Woods

I spent the rest of the visiting hours talking to the nice couple. The lady said her name was Anna, which I told her was a very pretty name. However, her husband's name was so unique, I still don't know how to pronounce it. He just said I could call him Geno, which I liked. I really liked this family, and apparently they liked me too.

When everyone left and the kitchen started to prepare dinner, Mrs. Cole told me that I was going to live with Anna and Geno. To say I was overjoyed would be an understatement. Instead of eating dinner, Mrs. Cole advised me to start packing the few things I had. It didn't take long, so I was all ready for when I left the next day.

After dinner we had free time, so I took this time to draw in my sketchbook. I drew Geno and Anna. Geno had his arm tightly around Anna and they were smiling. I was just starting the details of their clothes when a loud banging started on the front door of the orphanage. Besides visiting hours, no one came here besides a Police Officer at times. But he was never this disruptive.

All the children around me had scared looks on their faces. I pulled them closer to comfort them, but soon it was me who needed comfort.

"I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE!" The man outside the door yelled. I knew that voice. My face drained all its colour and I began to shake. Mrs. Cole quietly told us to go to ours rooms and we would be okay. We didn't want to do that though, so we all went into one room to feel safe together. Through the door, we could hear Mrs. Cole trying to speak to the angry man.

"Sir, I'm sorry but we don't have anyone named Dan-"

"I KNOW SHE'S HERE!" He yelled again.

I flinched and pulled some of the younger kids closer to me. I lost track of how long we waited, but finally Mrs. Cole convinced the man to leave. Even though he was gone, I didn't feel safe.

My dad was coming after me, and he knew where I was.
~
The next day, I was still shaken up about what happened, but I was going to my new home. Anna and Geno came to get me at breakfast and I said all my goodbyes. I was gonna miss the orphanage, but I was more excited to go and live with Geno and Anna.

While Geno drove, Anna sat in the back with me and she told me all about them and their friends. Every once and a while, Geno would pipe into the conversation and add something. It didn't take long for me to realise that both of them weren't from the USA. "Where are you from?" I asked.

"Russia." Geno said from the driver's seat.

I gaped in surprise. I knew they wouldn't be from around here, but Russia? "That's amazing! I've always wanted to learn Russian."

"We can teach while here." Geno replied. Now knowing they are Russian, the broken English made a lot more sense.

"That would be amazing." I sighed.

"But first, you meet will meet our friends." Anna said to me. Just then, Geno pulled up to a magnificent house. I watched in awe as we went up the drive way. It almost seemed like a castle. He pulled the car into a big garage with many other vehicles in it. He got out and opened the door for both Anna and I then went inside.

The kitchen was just as amazing as the garage. The counters were covered in marble and a tall glass door led to an outdoor porch. I set my small bag down on a high chair while looking at all the marvels of the house. But something told me I hadn't even seen the best part.

"Do you want me to show you to your room?" Anna asked me, bringing me out of my trance.

"That'd be great!" I exclaimed and she laughed. I grabbed my bag and followed her upstairs. We walked up a grand staircase upstairs. The whole time I couldn't help but think how much fun it would be to slide down on the railing. I would've gone in at least 2 complete circles. Once we got upstairs, my room was the first door on the left. The walls were painted a baby blue colour and had matching curtains. A full sized bed was against a wall near a window with matching blue sheets. The room was simple, but I loved it. I wasn't asking for anything extravagant, anything was better than what I had before.

I set my bag on the bed and started to unpack what I had. I put my sketchbook on the small dresser opposite to my bed and stuck the bag beneath it. After I finished, I looked out the window into the large backyard. The view was incredible, as we were on a nice hill looking down.

I could get used to this.

//

Yay Geno and Anna! I have no clue how Anna's English is so I'm just gonna assume it's better than Geno's? - Sadie