The Tenth Day

A/N: Apologies for the shorter length of this chapter, but I have to get to bed. Hopefully the next chapter will be much longer, as it is chapter 40 and hopefully we will all recognize what will happen (to an extent) based on how this chapter ends. Thank you for any and all reviews. They mean the world to me.

Come on, time to get up. The rain will let up soon, I hope." Miril roused the company as she was last on watch, Legolas following suit.

Pippin groaned and complained under his breath as he was woken up, the wetness on his face proof of the light drizzle that was currently falling from the clouds. Merry was no happier, but he merely frowned and followed Frodo and Sam in rising.

Frodo and Sam did so without complaint, eager to get moving after the long rest that night. In fact, most of the Company was extremely eager to move on down towards Tol Brandir, forgetting for the moment the choice that lay before them.

Aragorn stood tall, looking down the path ahead of them. He couldn't see far, but he wasn't really paying attention to what lay before his eyes. Aragorn was instead thinking long and hard about the Argonath and the statues of Numenor that would be before them soon.

Miril walked over to him. "Everyone's up and Gimli is fixing breakfast with Merry and Sam."

"Good." He nodded, and then continued with a sigh. "Soon we shall have to make a choice, my friend."

"I intend to go to Minas Tirith, as you know. However, if you need me to accompany the Ring-bearer, just say the word." She placed a hand on his arm to draw his attention to her.

Aragorn turned to face her and gave a sad smile. "I know. That much, I know. But your road lies to the White Tower. It is mine I am not so sure of."

"I have faith that your road will be made clear to you," Miril smiled. "Do not fret, my friend."

He nodded and turned away, looking down the river once more. "I hope you are right."

"I'll get you some breakfast," she offered, turning away and heading over to where Gimli and the two youngest hobbits were finishing up frying some fish that had been caught.

She stooped down and grabbed some on a plate for Aragorn. Filling a water skin as well from now-cooled boiled water, she headed back over to her friend and hopefully future king. She always had to remind herself of this. Aragorn, a man who, for all intents and purposes was basically her uncle, was destined to someday be king of the reunited kingdom. Or that was the hope. And she trusted in hope in most circumstances.

"Here." She handed him the plate and water skin. "I even added a little bit of lembas for extra goodness."

Aragorn smiled and took them from her. "Thank you. Now, you go eat too. Tell the others we leave in an hour at the latest. Earlier if we can manage it."

Miril went back to the food and ate her portion. When she was finished, she handed her plate to Merry for washing in the river while she helped pack up the boats. Once everything was ready, Aragorn ordered them into the boats and out onto the water.

Many hours passed of no consequence when suddenly great cliffs rose up beside them, hemming the water and the boats in between them. They were so tall, Miril could barely glimpse the tops. And then, the statues of such immense size that she nearly fell out of her boag loomed before them.

"The Gates of Argonath," she breathed in awe. "I have often wanted to bear witness to them. Never did I dream I would."

"Impressive stonework," Gimli agreed. "The size alone would make the work quite challenging."

Legolas nodded. "If only this were under happier circumstances!"

Miril agreed with that and returned her focus to her paddling. It was dark in the passage between the cliffs, but up ahead she could see light. Soon, they broke free of the cliffs quite suddenly and found themselves paddling into a large lake, Nen Hithoel. In the middle was an island called Tol Brandir, and to either side of the lake were two hills called Amon Hen and Amon Lhaw.

Aragorn had them direct their boats to the right hand bank across from the island of Tol Brandir. By now it was growing dark and the first few stars were peeping out from behind the clouds. They pulled their boats onto the green lawn of the right bank and retrieved their supplies.

"Here we shall rest the night," Aragorn told them. "This is Parth Galen, and on the hill behind us is Amon Hen, the Hill of Sight. We shall set a watch."

Frodo was on watch for the first half of the night, but Aragorn found himself unable to sleep. As he woke, he turned to Frodo and told him to draw his sword. As he feared, the blade was glowing faintly blue.

"Orcs!" Frodo said in surprise.

"It is as I feared. Though perhaps they are merely on the other bank, roaming Amon Lhaw. I have never heard of them on Amon Hen." He shook his head. "Nevertheless, I shall post a second guard tonight."

He walked over to Miril and crouch next to her. Placing a hand on her arm, he gently nudged her. She shot up quickly.

"What's the matter, Aragorn?" She asked quickly.

He shook his head. "Nothing immediate. However I fear orcs may be close. I want you to stand guard with Frodo for now. Wake me in a few hours if I'm not already up."

And so the night of the tenth day of the Fellowship's journey from Lothlorien went by without incident despite the looming danger. Miril caught neither sight nor sound of the Enemy, or Gollum, and woke Aragorn upon the appointed hour. His shift went by equally without event, and the morning soon dawned bright and cheery. But it was not to stay that way.