Chapter 27 ~ Return & Italy

Liam is back after Paul went for him at the airport and we have thousands of questions about his week in London. About Ray. About Tammy. But the Wolverhampton boy looks as tired as I feel myself, yet I don’t feel it’s for the same reasons. Whereas I barely could sleep due to a mischievous blonde who tempted me with a striptease, Liam had a flight and has been struggling for a whole week with something very complicated. It is normal that he is knackered, so we wait with our questions and let him go to bed.

“Ray is okay… in an orphanage in another city, but he is doing fine from the beating,” Liam says and his voice sounds so tired that maybe it’s due to that that we don’t push him further to tell us more about the topic.

“You okay?” Zayn asks him with his hand on Liam’s shoulder as we approach to the lift.

“Just tired,” he replies the moment the doors open and he steps inside. We don’t follow him. “See ya later, guys. I’m gonna sleep.”

We nod and the doors close with Liam at the other side. We stay there, standing and wondering what exactly happened. He didn’t mention Tammy but he was with her the whole week. Paparazzi didn’t follow them and I guess that wasn’t exactly easy, and sure it must be exhausting to deal with her for a whole week.

“What do you think it happened there?” Harry asks and I notice we’ve been staring at the lift doors the whole time.

“Not sure but he is not the same. Something did happen,” Zayn replies and we nod in agreement because it is not only exhaustion, there’s something else in Liam’s eyes. A burden that wasn’t there before and a fear, almost imperceptible, but it is there. But fear of what?

“I hope he’s fine,” Niall speaks and he is the first to break from the trance we fell into. “I’m gonna go see Alex. See ya around, lads!” And then he leaves.

I blink to break from this trance as well and shake my head slightly before staring at the guys, wondering what to do now, but I can’t speak up because I feel someone next to me, an arm looping around mine and my whole body reacts to her presence. I don’t have to look at her to know she is here.

“Hi, guys! Did Liam arrive already?” Harry smiles as a response and nods. “Oh bummer, I wanted to say hi and to know how Tammy is doing. Poor girl,” Kay adds and I furrow my eyebrows. For a moment I forgot that the girls actually like Tammy, especially Kay. I don’t get how that’s possible, Tammy is awful. “Anyways, I’ll talk to him later. He must be tired, right?” Now Zayn nods. “Jeannine asked me to tell you that you have the morning free but in the afternoon you have an interview, then the sound-check and the final concert. Tomorrow we’re leaving to Italy!” she sounds awfully excited.

“You seem excited,” Harry comments and Kay giggles. I just notice there that I haven’t shoved her off, she is still hanging to my arm.

“I love Italy! I love my beautiful Paris, but I can’t wait to go to Rome!” she explains and I look at her. Her smile is wide and bright and her eyes sparkle with excitement. She meets my eyes and her smile widens even more as her hand slides to my hand and she tangles our fingers together. “By the way, I waited for you last night,” she whispers to me, although I know the guys hear her as well.

I gulp, because as she says that, my mind decides to play me tricks. You know you want her, my inner voice, which had been surprisingly quiet lately, speaks up and I growl internally. “I was sleeping,” I tell her as offhandedly as I can. Liar, liar, pants on fire!

“Bummer, I had something prepared. Anyways,” she breaks the eye contact as I tense next to her, fighting not to think of what she had prepared for me. “Zayn, I’m looking for you this time. I finished with Niall, so now it’s your turn for the documentary. We’ll be spending loads of time together!”